GM lower shock mount.

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I need to buy, or make a new lower shock mount. Would 4130 be strong enough? It is a leaf spring car so it is not load bearing, but it does dampen the movement, I have no idea what the original material is.

I just make them out of weld-on brackets with a grade 8 bolt. Having broken a lot of them off road, I prefer using graded fasteners or an OEM type. A broken shock mount can really ruin your day out.

It will take 3-5 days to bring one in, NAPA does not stock it, and a grade 8 might work also. Thank you.

Those originals are tough as nails... But I've seen a lot of makeshift fixes go for a long, long time. If I had a chunk of 4130 big enough for that stud to fit inside of.... I wouldn't hesitate to make one.

Just a thought for you, back in the day we used to get those mounts in the box with Monroe shocks, so we always had a few in our extra parts drawer so if you are lucky and have some old school auto repair shop around, they may just have one for you. But as stated you can make one as well.

Thank you, I did check with one friend, and he had one for 7/16 eye, I may bush it for the 1/2, and cut down the 5/8 one I have.

Back