GM lower shock mount.

I guess if materials matter, then location matters also. The front wheels drop softly on launch, but load up hard under braking. The opposite is true on the rear. 90/10 drag shocks that don't have a high speed valving circuit have to lift the whole weight of the front of the car when you hit bumps in the road. It's a rough life. If you're running normal street shocks, those studs live an easier life, especially in front. The OEM bolts are tough, oversized and have a rolled thread, and are stout at 5/8", for what it's worth. Drags don't hammer the shocks as bad as off road, but I think your car will hit a lot harder than a stock 250 L6 Nova now that you've more than doubled it's output.

Thank you, the 406 flywheel is making 650/550 @ 6800, so I'll mock it up with grade 8 to move it around, and make new ones, or order GM when I have time.

That looks suspiciously similar to the upper shock bolt on some of the 73-87 trucks. It wouldn't surprise me to find that GM parts binned them. LMC or Classic Parts of America probably has them in stock if that's the case. Might be worth a check.

I was not happy with the 1/2" version of my first mount. The shock body needs to be spaced out from the bracket causing a longer single point leverage angle. I hope that makes sense, so I increased the mount to 5/8", and just made where the shock slides on 1/2". I have extra 5/8" axle studs so I turned them, and made new threads.
1695777637373.png

We have "Pull 'n Pay" around here. Go in with your tools, get what you need/want and pay maybe 10-25% of scrap value depending. They stay busy.

Not just in the US, we have “pick and pulls” here also (Canada), although they’re not as common as they used to be.

Most yards won’t even let you past the office anymore, let alone pull parts. They generally want to bring in junkers, hold on to them for a couple months to see if they can sell parts (mostly to body shops at ridiculously high prices) and then right into the crusher.

Older cars are like hens teeth around here these days. They’re either garage queens or have been tuned into paper clips or razor blades years ago…

Back