Goce's 06 twin turbo diesel peugeot

There is one thing you are forgetting, this is a modern car, it is computer controlled and its ECU wants the engine at 90 degrees celsius to run correctly, the thermostat only opens when the temperature is more than 90 degrees, often when moving the radiator is stone cold, i've had check engine lights on other vehicles because engine temp too low.
Actually the average modern vehicle operates at roughly 115 degrees Celsius due to the radiator pressure cap. The hotter you can run the better. You can get thermostats with an opening temperature of 97 degrees Celsius.

Man I hate modern engines with all the bolted on emissions gear etc. May not be viable in your case but in a garage the easiest way to work on a FWD vehicle for major work is to drop the entire front subframe and lift the body off. It can be done with jackstands and an overhead hoist even in a small garage. Disconnect fuel and the wiring harness plus steering.

This leaves the engine sitting on the subframe which can be wheeled around with a bit of support from a skate. So much easier than any other method. Even AWD can be done like this.
Basically this is the reverse of how the vehicle was put together in the factory.

IF,(and it is a big if),you decide on another rebuild I suggest you give it a go.

Haha, NortonDommi pulling engines, stripping cars for parts, modifying them is something that i'm used to. I've done it by dropping the entire subframe, that works well if you have a 2 post lift or if the engine is bolted to the subframe, renaults are like that, they come apart easily. Peugeot mounts their engines to the shock towers higher up in the engine bay so if you want to drop it down you need a special stand that will hold them separately from the subframe. There is a difference from watching and hearing someone how is done and doing it. Don't forget many cars that have rust are a pain to get the subframe bolts off, they are rusted in place or worse the nut inside has came unwelded i've seen on couple of cars where someone had fully welded the subframe to the body shell.

Oh I hear you about working on old stuff as it is my hobby and 40 years as a mechanic working on everything from lawnmowers to heavy plant and commercial and recreational boats I have seen a lot of nasties. Talking of welding, have you ever seen a head welded to the block to 'cure' a leaking head gasket?

No i haven't, i'll like to see a picture if you have one ? :grin big: :grin big: :grin big:

No unfortunately :( It was a trade-in at a truck dealers where a new salesman had done a deal before anyone looked at it which was a no-no and I was giving it a once over. Nice clean engine that looked like it had recently been worked on with fairly fresh paint. It had a blown head gasket so I ordered the parts and set to work. I could not lift the head, I tried every trick in the book and invented a few, all to no avail.
Pulled the engine to drop a replacement in as there was a buyer interested. Once out I saw the area at the back where the weld had not been dressed. Out with the angle grinder and wire brush and found some artist had done a beautiful job of welding the head onto the block then dressed the weld and even gone to the trouble of grinding in the join before painting.
The amount of time invested must have been a lot which makes me wonder why they didn't just fix the problem?
Alan Clark Motors 1983.

All high quality British Cast Iron. As said whoever did was truly an artist. When word got around people from shops all around called in to have a look.

I've done a lot of welding, brazing, epoxy on cast iron engine blocks, around here people still run straight water and are surprised when it freezes in the winter or think antifreeze is good forever and forget that they are adding a liter of water every week. But is hard for me to imagine a non visible weld seam on cast iron, they are so porast not even the thickest paint can cover it. Did you ever split the seam to see how the weld looked on the inside ? I've seen a guy tried to weld up a cracked wet cylinder liner of a peugeot XU engine it cracked right next to his weld again and destroyed the piston.

Good Cast Iron can be gas or arc welded easily, in this case from memory it was arc welded. What blew everyone's mind was that the engine must have been out of frame to do the job. The artist had ground the weld on both sides and the front and even ground a thin groove/V at the part line. Coat of paint over it and it looked normal.
Engine was a 330 Bedford Diesel in a J3.
Nobody else myself included has ever seen anything like it as far as I know. I can tell you I somehow became the butt of jokes about it for a couple of months.

Those diesels are the easiest to do a head gasket on, rocker arms and pushrods up 14 bolts and the head is off. Back in 83 they did not have 1mm cutting discs, what did he use, a hand file ?

Back