Going crazy(er)

Larry$

Registered
Registered
All my equipment is in self storage places. I probably am not going to have my new shop ready to occupy until June (If I'm lucky.) In the meantime I spend way too much time sitting at the computer or reading. I'm considering buying a mini-lathe as a toy to entertain myself in the basement. Anyone care to comment on what they think of having a Vevor 8x16. The specs likely sound better than the Chinese lath actually is: 1100 watts, M5 38mm (1.5"±) spindle bore w/ tapered roller bearings, Mt2 tailstock. metal change gears for limited threading, 3 & 4 jaw scroll chucks, both steadies, 4 way & quick change tool posts, some tooling. 180#s $1,223. Really cheap! Anybody have one?

Thinking from what I have seen posted here, you might have a project so you can make some projects. Might be interesting.

The only mini lathes I even seen first had, have been @ H Frt. Wasn't impressed. Never can tell though it might actually work once adjusted.

At that price you can get a Grizzly G4000 9x19, better quality than Vevor, about the same price and only a marginally larger foot print, 37" long, 20" deep vs 36" long and 16" deep. About 100lbs heavier (250 vs 166lbs). Grizzly's G0768 8x16 is about $250 more than you are quoting for Vevor, so you might wonder why.

Another possible plus for the 9x19, speed is controlled through belt changes, so no variable speed control board to fry, as the Chinese mini-lathes are somewhat notorious for doing.

Otherwise, yes it does seem like the 8x16s have a better reputation than the 7" mini-lathes, although I don't know how a Vevor 8x16 would stack up against one of the better vendors 7x16". Little Machine Shop sells their 7x16" for a similar $1299.

In all honestly, I would avoid a "cheap" (new) machine and drop for something a little better. Vevor are not known to be 100% and I, personally, would rather put more money in at the beginning for a better machine that does not need "messing" with as that usually costs what you are trying to save and more.

Best advice is research, research, research and also to check out the machine in person before buying. Save yourself some headaches and money you don't necessarily need to spend.

FWIW, every time I read a post from an owner of a Vevor lathe, it seems that the problems (and the posts are always about problems!) tend to be about significant manufactured-in/machined-in problems.

On threads about other, more well-regarded sellers of Chinese mini-lathes (for example, Grizzly/LMS for the US, ArcEuroTrade for the UK) the problems (and again, the threads are mostly about problems!) seem to be about fit and finish; things that are rectifiable by the owner fairly easily (albeit some with the use of hand tools like stones, deburring tools).

My impression is that Vevor mini-lathes are generally to be avoided if at all possible.

The reputable sellers will often use American made electronics too.

For someone like yourself, with the experience you have, fettling up one of the 'better' Chinese mini-lathes could be a 'fun' project, to see you through until you can get your 'proper' machines out of storage.

If you actually wanted to make chips from pretty much the get-go though, I reckon you might be better off getting something better manufactured like a new Sherline or, if you can find it, one of the little Unimats in the second-hand market.

Last edited:
If you already have a lathe in storage, why not build tools you don't own. You could also occupy yourself by building cabinets, work benches, storage solutions, air dryers etc... The big items can be in a kit form to make moving them easier.

You will need to do all of this to get the shop up and running anyway.

If you like fixing things, the Vevor type lathe will give you plenty of opportunity to do so. They have a bad reputation though.
Lots of issues, both mechanical and electrical, and little to no support
Once in a while someone gets a good one, but it' s-hit and miss

I was looking at that lathe on the Vevor website last night and there are some disturbing things for me. It will only cut 10 inch threads, three of which aren't common threads. Missing are 12, 13, 16, 24, 28, and 32. There statement that you can easily turn round and square stock in a three jaw chuck makes me wonder who writes/proofreads their copy. It also keeps me from trusting the rest of their copy. I'm somewhat concerned the stated size of the motor. Is it realistic or is it hype?

The fact that they only sell complete packages and not parts(from their answers to questions) leaves me cold. Also,I wouldn't buy any machine nowadays without first reading their user manual and they don't supply one online for that lathe.

However, the large spindle bore is intriguing although I wonder about the MT2 tailstock. They seem to offer a generous accessory package as well.

Back