Going crazy(er)

The spindle is also an issue for some since it's a flange-mount style and difficult to swap chucks/ R&R chucks
I imagine some buyers would never want to cut threads but dang- That's pretty bad
Of course, there's no backgears or power cross feed- that's a given (or taken away)
I guess the ultimate budget rig would be a pile of ore. "Perfect for the person who is handy with a blast furnace "
LOL

Last edited:
All my equipment is in self storage places. I probably am not going to have my new shop ready to occupy until June (If I'm lucky.) In the meantime I spend way too much time sitting at the computer or reading. I'm considering buying a mini-lathe as a toy to entertain myself in the basement. Anyone care to comment on what they think of having a Vevor 8x16. The specs likely sound better than the Chinese lath actually is: 1100 watts, M5 38mm (1.5"±) spindle bore w/ tapered roller bearings, Mt2 tailstock. metal change gears for limited threading, 3 & 4 jaw scroll chucks, both steadies, 4 way & quick change tool posts, some tooling. 180#s $1,223. Really cheap! Anybody have one?
I would consider the 8X16 Horror Fright.... Just a personal thing...

The only mini lathes I even seen first had, have been @ H Frt. Wasn't impressed. Never can tell though it might actually work once adjusted.
The issue I see with the Harbor Freight version in the store is everyone fingers it and NOT gently..

The issue I see with the Harbor Freight version in the store is everyone fingers it and NOT gently..

HF doesn't sell an 8" lathe anymore, only the 7x10 and 7x12.

If you like fixing things, the Vevor type lathe will give you plenty of opportunity to do so. They have a bad reputation though.
Lots of issues, both mechanical and electrical, and little to no support
Once in a while someone gets a good one, but it' s-hit and miss

There is an 8" Mini Lathe Emotional Support Group on Facebook specifically for these large bore mini-lathes although open to mini lathes of all types. Kind of a joking / not joking group name.

There seems to be a bias against Vevor even among that group.

With all the horror stories on the Vevor lathes…if I was you, I would not consider one.

HF doesn't sell an 8" lathe anymore, only the 7x10 and 7x12.

There is an 8" Mini Lathe Emotional Support Group on Facebook specifically for these large bore mini-lathes although open to mini lathes of all types. Kind of a joking / not joking group name.

There seems to be a bias against Vevor even among that group.
Interesting, that is recent.

Points taken. I've read enough horror stories about the quality of Chinese mini lathes to know it's a crap shoot. I also suspect a lot of them are from the same manufacturer, different paint. The Vevor "kit" I referenced had the following appeal : large spindle bore, Tapered roller bearings (replaceable!), MT2 tailstock, metal change gears. Enough "claimed" power VS some really wimpy power on many others. Included both Follow and fixed rests.
Disadvantages: Vevor's shaky reputation, very limited threading selection, both 3 & 4 jaw were were scroll chucks?? No parts support unless it can be matched to another brand.
I'm not into "tooling up" a mini as I suspect it will have too many drawbacks for me to want to keep it when I get my "tooled up" equipment in their new home. Maybe I'll fall in love with a mini and sell my 1440??
why not build tools you don't own. You could also occupy yourself by building cabinets, work benches, storage solutions, air dryers etc...
Because I have only a small area in a basement.
There statement that you can easily turn round and square stock in a three jaw chuck makes me wonder who writes/proofreads their copy.
Yes, I suspect their copywriters have no clue about which they write. There was a link to their manual , tried it, doesn't work! If the manual is similar to other Chinese ones I've seen, being missing is an advantage. It comes with a 4 jaw but very strangely it is a scroll chuck. Another clue that the seller's buyers have no clue what they are putting into their package (kit.)
I see that one of the members here just got one of these or very similar on eBay. I checked and yup lots of the same machine but with different stuff included.

You look at little machine shop? they're the same HF sieg machines but they improve them.

the Harbor freight machines are Sieg's btw. Grizzly, LMS, and Harbor freight all buy from the same manufacturer and usually paint them and resell. LMS adds new things.

there's a pretty large community of upgrading SIEGs themselves. I watch Artisan Makes who's got beefier versions than what you can get from the 3 i mentioned earlier that he's got the SIEG mill and lathe cutting mild steel

Last edited:
Back