Going crazy(er)

The WM180 (for £1269) works out at being a 7x12 (180mm swing, 300mm between centres)

The "Super Mini" (For £1198) Is a 7x 14 (180 swing, 350mm between centres).

Personally, if it were purely based on usable space I would drop for the Super mini.
Looking a bit more closely the WM180 is 70Kg and has a 550W motor

The Super Mini/Mini lathes are about 45 KG and have 450/400 W motors respectively.

Okay the motor difference isn't super significant but it's there.

However, the weight difference is pretty significant and that extra mass often means extra rigidity and let's face it, that's the first thing we look for in a lathe (assuming it's functional:grin:).

More than aware of the difference and agreed on mass, but look where the extra mass is located, slung on the front of the bedway as well as at the side of the headstock and a little extra in the tailstock.

Would still go for the super mini for the work envelope. Every inch counts on a small machine and I could live with the trade-off.

Looking a bit more closely the WM180 is 70Kg and has a 550W motor

The Super Mini/Mini lathes are about 45 KG and have 450/400 W motors respectively.

Okay the motor difference isn't super significant but it's there.

However, the weight difference is pretty significant and that extra mass often means extra rigidity and let's face it, that's the first thing we look for in a lathe (assuming it's functional:grin:).
If mass will help you then add some mass.... Torque it down to a piece of 20mm thk A36 plate 900mm x 350mm

If mass will help you then add some mass.... Torque it down to a piece of 20mm thk A36 plate 900mm x 350mm
The places where mass will help as regards rigidity, are in the "U" that is comprised of the headstock (and its component parts), the bed beneath the headstock, the bed between the headstock and the carriage/saddle/cross slide/compound(or top slide if one is on my side of the pond) and finally the carriage/saddle/etc.

Obviously the width of that "U" will depend on how close to the chuck you're working at any given time and the tailstock can be added to that "U" to make it a "W" but ultimately, the rigidity of a lathe is, by and large, determined by the parts of the lathe mentioned above.

Given the Warco WM180 has almost double the weight of the Warco mini latge models, it seems likely that the WM180's "U" will have more mass and thus more rigidity than the mini lathes.

Bolting the lathe down to something that's good at damping vibration, might help a bit to attenuate that feedback cycle that amplifies chatter. It's unlikely to make a significant contribution to the rigidity of the crucial parts though.

Bolting a lathe down to a mild steel 6mm plate, which is then bolted two two steel cabinets made of 3mm plate, seems to make the feedback cycle worse, or at least makes it sound a lot worse!

Ask me how I know, and whether I've got used to hearing something that sounds like a cow being tortured when I make mistake with DOC or speeds and feeds, and whether the offcut chunk of kitchen granite worktop I'm waiting for, has had its holes drilled yet!:grin:

Last edited:
More than aware of the difference and agreed on mass, but look where the extra mass is located, slung on the front of the bedway as well as at the side of the headstock and a little extra in the tailstock.

Would still go for the super mini for the work envelope. Every inch counts on a small machine and I could live with the trade-off.

Well, the bed isn't a bad place to add mass for rigidity, nor the headstock either. It is a lot of extra mass compared with the average mini lathe (supplied by anybody).

But yeah, that 12" between centres is really odd for the market segment that lathe sits in. Okay it is the bottom of the WM models but just an extra 2" on the bed would (assuming it isn't just a fatter 7x12 mini-lathe) would make it much more attractive to people with limited space.

The WM240 is curiouser still with a 9.5" max swing but only 16" (well 15 3/4" actually) between centres.

It's only when you get to the WM250 that things start to become a bit more familiar.

Guess the fact that they're still going nearly 50 years after they started suggests they know what they can sell.:dunno:

Next year is their 'Golden Jubilee'. I wonder if they'll have some really good deals for that? :grin:

Last edited:
Back