Going shopping , what color nail polish should I buy :-)

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
Yea, not what you thought right :grin:
I've been using Testors Enamel RED on my left hand drill bits, end mills, taps...
I need to expand.

The made for would be a cutter specifically made for that use. I know newer taps have this, but I have a ton of Old Stock made in USA.
So if you can think of things that might need coloring to identify one from another, and if there is a standard color already let me know...
I'll just be putting a ring around shafts on drills, end mills, and in an area that doesn't affect it seating or cutting for other cutters.
I wanted to make this a poll, but I didn't think it would work out.

I'm thinking of getting a few colors up at walmart, to use for :

Metric
MADE FOR CAST IRON
MADE FOR Stainless
MADE FOR NON-FERROUS
Other???? if you can think of a special need

I have used nail polish for years to seal electrical adjustments. The polish sets hard and doesn't penetrate too much. To use for IDing tools, I would think a good grade of spray paint would work better. Nail polish tends to drop large chunks when cracked. As a seal, the color doesn't matter much. I usually find a loud(?) color so it's easy to see if it has been broken. For marking tools, the color system would be an individual choice, but the tool should be well degreased so the color would stick.

I have used nail polish for years to seal electrical adjustments. The polish sets hard and doesn't penetrate too much. To use for IDing tools, I would think a good grade of spray paint would work better. Nail polish tends to drop large chunks when cracked. As a seal, the color doesn't matter much. I usually find a loud(?) color so it's easy to see if it has been broken. For marking tools, the color system would be an individual choice, but the tool should be well degreased so the color would stick.
Thanks Bill, I figured since it had the integral brush it would make a good choice.
Ok, still interested in colors then. Maybe I have to drive out to the hobby store in PA...

I have used red to identify "right" hand threads. Blue for "left" hand threads. But I have also used blue and red racks for imperial and metric wrenches. Being a JD person I may have to change that to green and yellow.... :)
DanK

I have used red to identify "right" hand threads. Blue for "left" hand threads. But I have also used blue and red racks for imperial and metric wrenches. Being a JD person I may have to change that to green and yellow.... :)
DanK
JD???
In aviation Red is left, Green is Right... so I chose Red for left hand ..

Paint markers are really nice If you haven’t used them before. They are really durable not just wipes off. No clean up is nice and always seem to be ready with acouple shakes.

I've got the Markal Pro-Line... they don't get used enough, and seem to stop working. I like them when new, but after a few months, I am frustrated.

Funny, we were just saying this aft that we should colour code the ends of lumber coming off the mill. Once it turns gray its hard to tell birch from maple or even oak.

Greg

I used to buy Allen wrenches by the box. Then I would spray paint them different colors . That way I could say to my guys give me a yellow one or what ever color I wanted. It worked good.
Jimsehr

Back