Going shopping , what color nail polish should I buy :-)

I had to mark my end mills first. I have a few counterclock wise end mills.. And I would always burn them up trying to cut clockwise.
After a few of those, I painted them red with dykem... but dykem comes off, so I started using the Testors model stuff. but again, no brush, so you had to clean a brush after... I could also use a dremel and put a slight groove around the body on the millls, and the nail polish would just hang in the groove.

For marking left hand vs right hand tooling, red and green for port and starboard is a good fit. Personally, I prefer Red, Blue, and Yellow as primary colors, same as crimp on electrical fittings. So long as there isn't another use where you use the same colors. When I was on a ship, my hand tools were marked with blue because that was the unused color at the time. Same when I went to the "pipe shop", except there it was yellow. The colors should be a sharp contrast so when they fade there would still be no mistake.

My threading tools reside in "scrounged" plastic "set" cases. Meaning I don't normally paint code any. In addition to the normal set cases, I have one for miscellaneous "odd" taps and another for left hand threads. The "odd" box is a subject in itself. Starting with M12X1 and 1/4-40 and getting strange from there. Years back, there was a "stuff" place that was related to aircraft where all sorts of stuff showed up as surplus. Really odd, interesting stuff like a RH Acme tap for 3/8-12. When I had money burning a hole in my pocket, I would go there to dispose of it. Sure beat Wally World, no need to dodge gardeners. I have many tools that are specific to the craft that would be unrecognizable in the normal world. The business is long gone now, but the prices were so good, I loaded up on unusual stuff. Seems I wandered a long way from color coding tools. My apologies. . .

Marking is a good idea. So is making holders for your bits and such.
I saw a youtube where someone made blocks for each of their taps and corresponding drill bits.

I was thinking this is a pretty good idea and was thinking of taking it a step further.
My eyesight isn't as good as it once was. Whose is, right? So I was thinking I could 3D print the blocks with the dimensions on the top layer(s). When the machine was about to print the top layer(s) I could pause it and splice a colored filament with white. Timing would be critical unless I have a sacrificial print piece to absorb the splice.

My printer isn't sophisticated enough to pause, purge, and restart where left off. Some will so if that's an option for others, there it is. Some people also have dual filament printers. That would be the ideal way to go.

JD = John Deere. Fits with green and yellow.

Nothing runs like [wet paint on] a Deere.

Last edited:
Marking is a good idea. So is making holders for your bits and such.
I saw a youtube where someone made blocks for each of their taps and corresponding drill bits.

I was thinking this is a pretty good idea and was thinking of taking it a step further.
My eyesight isn't as good as it once was. Whose is, right? So I was thinking I could 3D print the blocks with the dimensions on the top layer(s). When the machine was about to print the top layer(s) I could pause it and splice a colored filament with white. Timing would be critical unless I have a sacrificial print piece to absorb the splice.

My printer isn't sophisticated enough to pause, purge, and restart where left off. Some will so if that's an option for others, there it is. Some people also have dual filament printers. That would be the ideal way to go.
That would be Mr Pete
I made one... totally useful, I use it so much, no wasted time.
20200410_211134.jpg20200410_211120.jpg

JD = John Deere, of course. I had a paint marker that I loved at first. Then it got to the point perhaps a year later where no matter how I shook it, it wouldn't start up until I pressed the point hard enough to open the feed from the reservoir. Then a large amount of paint would run out (surprise!) and dribble all over stuff. I gave up on it and threw it out. Went to larger magic marker that keeps on ticking for both lumber and metal.
DanK

Funny - just a couple weeks ago I added indicator dots on my arbor press & hydraulic press dies. This is to mark the location of the flat on the shaft for the set screw just as a nice touch. I used a center-cutting EM to make a shallow counterbore and filled it with a bit of nail polish.

I raided my daughter's supply and used Firecracker Red. :grin: I thought about going with a french manicure but figured that would've been a bit too hoity toity.

DieIndicatorDot.jpg

There is an "afterthought" about tap storage. When I saw the plastic (acrylic??) storage above, I was reminded of my small tap storage. The corresponding dies reside in a tool box, they are large enough to find easily. There is a plexiglas that is just under 1/4 inch, probably 6mm, that is/are stood on edge. Taps, tap drills, and clearance drills are stored there. The largest is 4-40, the smallest 000-120, are so small they're hard to find in a drawer. As with most "machine tools", they get used when needed. I may use one several times in one day and then they sit for weeks. Hence a vertical stand, when it gets shoved around it's easy to find. I would post a photo if my camera worked. . .

well to continue this thread..
I did my nails today.. :laughing:
picked up these colors, the one on the right end is really bright orange.
20220120_124708.jpg

Brought my left hand drill bits, end mills, and taps and dies to the toolpost grinder on the lathe.
I put a small groove in each tool. This will keep the color when the excess wears off. It should look like the color coded taps that they sell for SS, cast iron, etc.
20220120_151030.jpg
20220120_151107.jpg
A legend for when I forget what the colors mean.

20220120_152206.jpg
20220120_152234.jpg
20220120_152959.jpg
I was playing music in the background and believe it or not, Youtube won't let the video go live without removing the sound.
geez...

Back