Golf ball mortar

Pretty much anything that is muzzle loaded is OK as far as the feds are concerned.

Pretty much anything breach loaded with a bigger than .5 inch bore is a "destructive device" and requires additional license / tax stamp.

I recommend FG Pyrodex. I believe black powder is classified as an explosive and requires a license to purchase and handle. A lot of people talk about black powder when they really mean Pyrodex.

The tighter the projectile fits the bigger the bang. Hence the use of wading.
Black powder doesn't reqire a special license as an end user but it is classified as an explosive so dealer cannot store it on their shelves. To sell black a dealer has to store it in a special magazine so most dealer just carry the substitutes like pyrodex, 777, BH 209, ect.

Now that the tube is almost finished I can turn my attention to the trunion ring, the material is a 2 1/2" piece of 5" OD X 3" ID tubing, too big on the ID but will have to do. Cutting it in half is a challenge but with a pair of press plates and a machinist jack I got it done, not quite in half but close enough. The part on the left tapers .003 from top to bottom, and the one on the right tapers .015 from top to bottom, I'll use the one on the right. After a 300 degree pre-heat I'll build up the ID with weld, and bore it to fit the tube. I should have bored the holes before welding, the heat affected zone got really hard and the cutting tool just stops, I'll have to finish the bottom of the holes with a carbide rotary file, good news, the Feds haven't kicked down my door yet, bad news, I broke my 7/16" end mill trying to cut the slot for the elevating screw in the bottom of the tube.

Attachments

• IMG_0915.JPG
    IMG_0915.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0915.JPG
    IMG_0915.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0916.JPG
    IMG_0916.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0918.JPG
    IMG_0918.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0921.JPG
    IMG_0921.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 45
Now that all the legal ramifications have been explored, I can get back to the build. The welder finally showed up and we got the tube mated to the trunion ring, the small cylinder is the nut for the elevating screw. I don't know what the materiel for the trunion ring is, but it's the toughest I've ever machined in my shop. Just to find out if my heating and welding was the culprit I chucked the other half up and yes, it's just as tough and delivered a beautiful finish but without the hard spots induced by the welding.

Attachments

• IMG_0922.JPG
    IMG_0922.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0923.JPG
    IMG_0923.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 47
Here it is with the first fit-up, I would rather had 8" channel than 10", but everything else was too thick or too thin. I will work on the aesthetics later in the build. This Corona Virus stuff is really taking a bite out of my shop time, since my son is exposed to many vectors at his job, I don't want to be exposed to him, so I have the :( shop alone four days a week and he uses it three.

Attachments

• IMG_0926.JPG
    IMG_0926.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 33
Has anyone seen or does anyone know the potential for a golf ball mortar using only the impulse from a 209 primer? I am thinking that could be a fun project and the golf balls would be recoverable. Any idea how far they could be flung?

Has anyone seen or does anyone know the potential for a golf ball mortar using only the impulse from a 209 primer? I am thinking that could be a fun project and the golf balls would be recoverable. Any idea how far they could be flung?
probably 6 feet.

I have heard 36mg of priming compound and also heard 61mg and finally 1 grain which is closer to 65mg. maximum legal firecracker is 50mg. I was thinking closer to 50 feet. Any estimates based on experience?

I'll start out with 5 grains of ffG, should be ready to test fire next week. Bummer, our local golf course is closed, I walk by every day and was hoping to pick up some free ammunition.

Look at the golf course, and figure out which houses get the most balls in their yards. Stop and ask, they might sell you a bucket full cheap.

I'll start out with 5 grains of ffG, should be ready to test fire next week. Bummer, our local golf course is closed, I walk by every day and was hoping to pick up some free ammunition.
Walk the tree lines their out there and since nobody is out there ballhawkin they should be plentiful.

Back