Resolved Gone for a couple weeks and WOW

Sorry I'm not going to pay money to eliminate an annoyance.

The site has some interesting stuff. I did get some great help from an individual that has specialized in vfd's. But all that is not unique to this site.

Imagine shopping at a store that played annoying music. When you ask about it they say, they pay us to play it. but here, buy these headphones and you won't have to listen to it. I say no thanx there is another store down the road, I might drop in on occasion but won't frequent that store.
This really comes across as selfish and cheap, help keep the site going with a small donation or the ads will. This site is unique in many ways, it's sad you can't see that!

Upvote 0
The addiction to getting something for nothing is so prevasive. And funded by advertisements. How many folks pay to read articles on Foxnews or CNN? Or pay for YouTube? How many sites do you "visit" without paying a thing? With the exception of commercial and governmental sites, the Internet runs on advertising. That's the way it is.

Upvote 0
The addiction to getting something for nothing is so prevasive. And funded by advertisements. How many folks pay to read articles on Foxnews or CNN? Or pay for YouTube? How many sites do you "visit" without paying a thing? With the exception of commercial and governmental sites, the Internet runs on advertising. That's the way it is.
There are plenty of people who pay for premium access. Personally, I believe in paying for quality in-depth news and other information services - just like I pay to have access to the content here on H-M. For example, I subscribe to digital versions of three national and two local newspapers, and contribute to Wikipedia and my local PBS affiliate, and pay annual subscriptions for about ten different podcasts that offer ad-free versions. Thankfully, I am not alone in this perspective, and would encourage others to support quality information through paywall subscription or ongoing contributions.

Upvote 0
My only complaint with the current setup is that I can't get to the login button on new setups. My "adblock" (more for tracking block, but it uses similar tech) is at the network level, so I can't disable it without changing the network configuration. Computers and networking are a hobby, so my network is significantly more complex than most home setups.

And no, I will not be disabling it. There are significant security risks from allowing ads and tracking that have been and will be exploited. Unless people want to pay me for the time I spend repairing computers that have been compromised by this trash? No? Didn't think so. :)

It would be really nice if it would at least just redirect me to a login page with a note that adblock requires login.

I know this situation is not HMs fault and there isn't much they can do about it. But if this were the case when I first found the site, I would have likely just moved on and forgotten it exists. That's what I do with most of the sites that irritate me with such things. If I like the content, I'm happy to contribute, but I can't know if I like it if I can't see it. It's a tricky balance, I get that.

If I might make a suggestion, the above requiring an account and login, then limiting those accounts more than normal would at least give people a chance to look into the site before getting hit with the giant red anti-adblock thing. Much of this also depends on the forum software. I have no idea what is or isn't supported by the software. I've also noticed that when my subscription is close to expiring, it emails me, great. But then I can't find an option to renew until the expiration happens. Perhaps that's been fixed since I renewed last though.

Upvote 0
I have AdBlock Plus. I see no ads on HM or YouTube or other sites. It is free but I have donated because it works well, and I appreciate it. I also donate to Wikipedia, Mozilla and 'Open Office' and about 3 or 4 others because they provide a service that I enjoy and make my life better.

If I wanted to receive a magazine or something similar, I would expect to pay. If I didn't want to pay, I would forget about it and go elsewhere! And I wouldn't complain.
Aaron

Upvote 0
attached is a screen shot of what I get. It is zoomed out so you get the idea
I couldn't get the second and third banner ad to replicate. I double checked placement and they "shouldn't" be in duplicate or triplicate as I see in your screen shot. Everything else looks normal to me with the exception of the following.

The one thing I noticed is a drop down ad from above the header. I don't recall if or how I placed that location. That is the one that is really annoying since it drops and retracts as you scroll.

It would be interesting to hear from other Registered non-donating members if they see the scrolling ad from above the header as well. I am using latest version of Firefox - for what it is worth. I also tested it from home and work.

As stated in many other threads about ads, we must utilize some ads. After looking at your screen shot, @Scott-ak - I agree that there is something amiss with the duplicate banner ads near the top. Haven't quite put my finger on it yet as the ad manager that Xenforo uses requires a little refresher after not using it for some time now.

With that said, I'm curious about something I have observed. Can you post another screen shot from the home page and then from another forum (not the Precision Matthews forum or sponsored forum)?

Thanks,
Bryan

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
As it hasn't been mentioned here recently, I will add that if you want to know what the various dollar levels buy for you, just single-click the Donations tab in the main toolbar at TOS. I will add that the $100 and $250 levels are for commercial outfits, not for regular members. And if you want to know your current status, click on your User ID in the main tool bar and then click on Member Levels. This will show you what level you are signed up for (if any) and the expiration date. If you accidentally got signed up for two levels, that will show up here, too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have removed one instance of an ad that is redundant. This will affect Registered users only.

I'm working on a template that will remove some embedded ads. This will be a bit of a headache and testing as it is a problem created nearly 10 years ago. And I don't want to break anything that old. This only affect Guests and Registered users.

More to come, but for now, I'm calling this closed as Ads can be removed with a donation.

Upvote 0
Back