Good news, good news, bad news

Cast iron is not as bad as some make it out to be. I once bought a 1 ton chevy van for $100 with a bad engine. It had the water pump replaced in February, in Wisconsin, They finished it at 10:30 at night and ran it up to temp to check for leaks with just water in the system. They figured since it was hot it would be fine till morning and they would put anti freeze in then. NOPE, Block split down both sides from freeze plug to freeze plug. I bought cuz I had a spare engine in the corner of the garage already looking for a home. BUt first I crawled under and looked at the cracks. I figured it was worth a try, so I bought a pack of nickle welding rods and 4 new freeze plugs. I welded from plug hole to plug hole and all around each new freeze plug. I welded about 3/4 inch at a time then moved to the other side for a 3/4 weld, by the time that was done first side was cool enough to do another weld. I used that truck to haul my stock car and as a daily driver for 4 more years. the repairs never leaked a drop. This was before I had heard of brazing CI or I would have done that.

Ehh Kanaka! Needs pics of the buggah all set up!

Aloha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back