Good news, good news, bad news

sorry to hear the bad news Mike, but at least it's here.

maybe tig er up with silicon bronze or braze it up with bronze

not sure of the scale of the part, but it could be reproduced regardless

It is hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like the left side may have been broken for a long time and there may be a piece of the left top that is misssing. 3 of the broken edges look like noce clean fresh breaks that bottom left is the same dirty color of everything around it. I hope it is just an optical illusion.

I sometimes take awhile to come up with ideas, and this is one of them. If the head casting is solid, and the 1" x 5" steel bar stock I have fits the bill. I could cut the arc on a rotary table, then cut the broken end off of the cast piece, face, drill, and tap it for the steel replacement piece??? I dunno....

I sometimes take awhile to come up with ideas, and this is one of them. If the head casting is solid, and the 1" x 5" steel bar stock I have fits the bill. I could cut the arc on a rotary table, then cut the broken end off of the cast piece, face, drill, and tap it for the steel replacement piece??? I dunno....

Stick it in a flat rate box and shoot it up here..... I will braze it for you and then ship it back No Charge.....

I will clamp both pieces together on a thick plate grind a little V groove in the split and fill it up with some low fuming bronze....and then into the Heat treating furnace at around 6-800°F for about an hour before I turn it off to let it cool inside the furnace.

Quick job....

Sounds like a plan, it may be a week or so, it's still at the warehouse....

I got a great picture of your repair, but I've been working, and not at home for 12 hr shifts, very soon, I got it apart, but my buddy will have to come, and help me defeat gravity with the 24 x 24 iron table :encourage: Glad you posted, forgot where this thread went....

Chaz very graciously offered his shop, and his time to do this repair for me, which included acetylene, and the oven time. The back of his business card is awesomely useful too. I cannot thank you enough.....

Back