Goofs & Blunders You Should Avoid.

I have a nice 2" burn on my wrist from last night from not buttoning up my sleeve on my shirt . I was wearing hot gloves and flame resistant shirt as always but laid my arm over on a band heater . Of course , right where my skin was showing . You're talking about a wake up call at 2 in the morning ! :grin:

I have two "trainee/apprentice" types in my shop right now. The level of involvement it takes from
the "journeymen" is monumental. Keeping them safe is tough enough. Now try to TEACH them something!

are you saying that having a journeyman or apprentice is a goof or a blunder? I'm not sure....
:encourage:

Guess I stepped on some toes . Sorry if it bothers you , but I've been thru hell and if I see someone that may hurt themselves or others it's my right to say please be careful in what your doing. My conscious is mine , it's others rights to ignore , but if and when they get hurt ill at least know I did my part to try n stop it. That's the reason so many companies are put out of business by lawyers . You know the old saying .

I was 8 yrs old...people were lighting fireworks. I didn't have any so I found a dud on the street with no fuse. I lit a match and put it inside the tube within a nano second my ears were ringing, everyone's voices were in a distance and my face felt like it got sand blasted. I thought I'd lost my hearing and eyebrows for sure, I was lucky...especially because the gun powder could've easily damaged my eyes. 15 mins later I was back watching the fireworks. Never did tell the parents (fearing I'd get yelled at for being so stupid).

are you saying that having a journeyman or apprentice is a goof or a blunder? I'm not sure....
Yes, I may have gotten a bit off topic. That said, if an organization decides it wants to "grow their own", and enters into an apprenticeship program with little knowledge of the procedure, it may very well be a "goof" or a "blunder". It sure seems so from the "veterans" point of view.

In my career I was responsible for engineering and manufacturing, this was a $250M division as part of a $2B company. It was and still is extremely difficult to find qualified machinists. Sure you can find people to load and unload, push a button, but finding people that can do the setup and understand machining constraints is extremely difficult. Those people just don't exist. So while there may be issues with their program, I get why they are doing it...,you have to grow your own.

Sure you can find people to load and unload, push a button, but finding people that can do the setup and understand machining constraints is extremely difficult. Those people just don't exist.

They don't exist because the position doesn't pay squat . These young , just outta college mechanical/manufacturing engineers command 100K + just walking in the door . They couldn't tell you a lathe from a radial drill press . This started back in the mid-nineties and has gotten worse every year . Even if machinist or tool and die apprenticeships were around these days , who in the world would go thru the 4 or 5 years of crappy pay to get into the trade . I just hit 60 and have 2 years to go . The youngest journeyman I know is 56 and he hasn't touched a machine in 25 years . He's actually the plant manager at one of our plants . The next 6 years should be interesting for sure in the manufacturing sector , and like I've said in the past , the hobby machinist's of today most likely will be the future of machining .

Oooops , forgot one thing . These new people coming in can make some very perty charts . If we could sell THEM , we would be in a healthy business environment .

And if I could buy one of these persons for WHAT they're worth , and sell them for WHAT THEY THINK THEY'RE WORTH , I could retire today . :rolleyes:

End of rant . :big grin: ( I'm bored and I'm stuck here for 13 1/2 hours tonight )

Tradesmen and the training of them is an old story. I commenced my apprenticeship in 1961. 5 1/2 years later I was qualified fitter & turner/toolmaker.

I enjoyed the work,It was very satisfying and apparently I was good at it. The pay was the problem The lowest payed of all trades in spite of being the most precise and demanding of all trades. They got away with low wages precisely because men enjoyed the work. It is interesting how people will put up with low pay in a job they enjoy, whereas boring jobs often pay better.

The end result was in a few years I went to sea and began training as a marine engineer, A career that I also enjoyed, and it payed much better, so win, win.

Back