Goofs & Blunders You Should Avoid.

Who is anyone to tell another (yes, even ones making a video), what is safe? I could show you a hundred, maybe even a thousand videos of people doing all kinds of stunts with skateboards, bicycles, motorcycles, wheelchairs, cars, excavating equipment, and so on, that we could easily call reckless, but they have mastered their sport, or what ever you want to call it, and do not get hurt. Yes, pointing out safety issues is a good thing, but we are all humans, and are responsible for our selves. I never went to a joey chitwood stunt show, expecting to learn how to drive a car on two wheels, nor would I watch a machinist video, and think its ok to wear long sleeves, because the guy on the video did. I dare anyone here, to go to Pakistan, and tell them the right way of doing anything. Watch any of their youtube videos, and you will see they have mastered doing things completely wrong, and staying alive.

I enjoyed the work,It was very satisfying and apparently I was good at it. The pay was the problem The lowest payed of all trades in spite of being the most precise and demanding of all trades. They got away with low wages precisely because men enjoyed the work. It is interesting how people will put up with low pay in a job they enjoy, whereas boring jobs often pay better.

The end result was in a few years I went to sea and began training as a marine engineer, A career that I also enjoyed, and it payed much better, so win, win.
Many years ago, I had a friend that said you can classify all jobs into 4 categories.

* A job you love, and pays well.
* A job you love, and does not pay good.
*A job you hate, and pays good.
*A job you hate, and does not pay well.

The goal is the top one, but either of the middle two, are generally accepted, The last one is where you need to seriously look at moving on.

I guess I was (very fortunately) in category 1 back when I worked for Hewlett-Packard as a manufacturing engineer. Great working conditions, great people, almost never did the same thing two days in a row, got to play with a bunch of really neat toys ... and the fools actually paid me to show up!

Who is anyone to tell another (yes, even ones making a video), what is safe? I could show you a hundred, maybe even a thousand videos of people doing all kinds of stunts with skateboards, bicycles, motorcycles, wheelchairs, cars, excavating equipment, and so on, that we could easily call reckless, but they have mastered their sport, or what ever you want to call it, and do not get hurt. Yes, pointing out safety issues is a good thing, but we are all humans, and are responsible for our selves. I never went to a joey chitwood stunt show, expecting to learn how to drive a car on two wheels, nor would I watch a machinist video, and think its ok to wear long sleeves, because the guy on the video did. I dare anyone here, to go to Pakistan, and tell them the right way of doing anything. Watch any of their youtube videos, and you will see they have mastered doing things completely wrong, and staying alive.

Hate to tell you this but, those people "mastering" those stunts have gotton hurt and still do from time to time. Also,if people anywhere are doing things"completely wrong" I can gaurantee there has been alot of them that did get hurt in the process and if someone is still alive they are pretty much lucky. Just because they didnt find an actual safe way doesnt make them right. Lots of people use gloves on a lathe too and havent gotton hurt but that doesnt mean its good or smart to do it. There will more than likely will be a time when they will have problem. If you see someone doing something unsafe they should be warned, if they dont want to to listen, its on them then if something happens.

I guess I was (very fortunately) in category 1 back when I worked for Hewlett-Packard as a manufacturing engineer. Great working conditions, great people, almost never did the same thing two days in a row, got to play with a bunch of really neat toys ... and the fools actually paid me to show up!
My last position before retiring was as an engineering manager working for Agilent (formerly HP). Ditto on the working conditions plus I was essentially working unsupervised and great pay/benefit package.

There are two ways to know you have a great job. You look forward to going to work each day and someone has to remind you that its well past lunch time or that its time to go home.

I need to add my piece to this thread for today. So, I was using my Bosch cordless drill to cut through a 2x6 framing member at eye level using a 1-1/2" Lenox hole saw, like I have done many times before. I knew I had lit a bit of nail, so I checked the hole and decided to keep drilling. The saw had no problem with the nail as expected, but it heated up the match head sized nail piece quite a bit, which jumped right under my glasses and into the corner of my eye. The worst part was listening to it sizzle the whole time I was grounding tools, shaking off gloves, and preparing to stick a finger in my eye to get that burning thing out! It's been a couple hours, and I think I am going to be fine, er, lucky. So have a careful day, everybody!

I need to add my piece to this thread for today. So, I was using my Bosch cordless drill to cut through a 2x6 framing member at eye level using a 1-1/2" Lenox hole saw, like I have done many times before. I knew I had lit a bit of nail, so I checked the hole and decided to keep drilling. The saw had no problem with the nail as expected, but it heated up the match head sized nail piece quite a bit, which jumped right under my glasses and into the corner of my eye. The worst part was listening to it sizzle the whole time I was grounding tools, shaking off gloves, and preparing to stick a finger in my eye to get that burning thing out! It's been a couple hours, and I think I am going to be fine, er, lucky. So have a careful day, everybody!
Like a slug of molten steel in your boot, a few seconds can be an eternity!

OUCH!
That could have been much worse.

Flat on my back welding under the car, big ol red cherry rolled down my welding jacket. It found the gap at the bottom of the jacket, and burned a track down to my belt. In significant discomfort, I lifted my belt not thinking of the consequences, there were significant consequences as it continued to roll down hill....

Flat on my back welding under the car, big ol red cherry rolled down my welding jacket. It found the gap at the bottom of the jacket, and burned a track down to my belt. In significant discomfort, I lifted my belt not thinking of the consequences, there were significant consequences as it continued to roll down hill....
Double ouch! I thought it was bad when one of those dropped into my boot. I still have the scar on the top of my foot. That was the last day that I ever tucked my jeans into my boots.

Back