Gorton Tracemaster 1-22 Milling Machine Questions

miklud

Registered
Registered
I know it's ugly, but I have restored worst. the rust on the underside of the table looks worse than it is flaking is still present Its covered in petrified oil. It's never been repainted, that's good in my book. I hate removing sloppy half-baked paint jobs.
Now going to my question.
The tracing servo has three valves, one is on the right side and two in the front. Does that mean that its the 3D servo? I know its not the automatic servo model. Serial number 44772
I plan to remove the table way covers and wiper felts to clean good before moving the table. then remove the table to clean. I moved it about 1/4 " to verify that it's not stuck. Its grungy with dried oil and possible coolant. the spindle takes the nmtb 40 taper. The table is nice without bloopers.
This mill has been parked at least 23 years. Its stiff but restorable. I ran it for about 30 seconds but without fresh servicing that's enough.
20240329_131014.jpg

Also, curious if it's the model with ball screws? It's not home yet.
It has the hydraulic unit and its complete but no tooling. Has a vise
I'm anxious to get started. All comments and suggestions welcome.
More heavy iron crawls out of storage.
G.jpg
20240329_130309.jpg
20240329_130350.jpg
20240329_130158.jpg
20240308_114414.jpg
yy.jpg

Those Gorton mills make a Bridgeport look like silly putty.

Yes they do.
The hydraulic drive motors can be disengaged to run it manually. Otherwise, I wouldn't have bought it. The variable belt drive will get worked over. They're annoying when they are noisy. I'm not sure I wouldn't rather change a belt to a different pully. The variable is convenient on the run.

It is crazy how many different configurations there are of these 1-22 mills. Every picture shows a different design on the head.
I have a 1-22 a really like it. The 40 taper would be really nice. Mine is a 30 NT.
Good luck with your project.
Joe

They say a Gorton will spoil you for anything else-
- I like their seafood

I ordered that manual. It says 1964 and the ports for the hoses and valves are located in the same locations.
I believe that I do have the 360 degree tracer servo.

Thanks for the link.
V.M.org has a lot of good literature on Gordon mills but not that one.
I will scan when I get it and post it on VintageMachinery.org so the next guy gets it free.
Mike

I ran one of the Gorton's like yours back in the 1980's and a lot of the True Trace valves, both 2D & 3D. From what I recall, the Gorton was very similar.

Back