Gorton Tracemaster 1-22 Milling Machine Questions

I ran one of the Gorton's like yours back in the 1980's and a lot of the True Trace valves, both 2D & 3D. From what I recall, the Gorton was very similar.
I verified my Gorton is a nmtb 40 taper.

I feel fortunate to have the 40-taper spindle with all the options available.
I was curious if anyone uses one of these collet setups in the link below.
I still haven't hauled my Gorton home and am anxious to start assessing everything. The bed ways look to be pretty good, but everything is stiff with dried up oil and possible coolant. Ill start spraying it down with diesel fuel or paint thinner.
I have been down this road many times. I know there is a jewel burried under all that crud. I am going to work at getting the 3D tracing unit fully functional. It is complete with the hydraulic power unit. They are usually noisy and annoying.
So many guys strip all that off when it can still be used as a manual mill with it on there. Not Shure why.

20240408_114759.jpg

I have a collet holder very similar to that one. I have been very happy with it. I get less runout with it than my standard weldon style holders.
Joe

I ran one of the Gorton's like yours back in the 1980's and a lot of the True Trace valves, both 2D & 3D. From what I recall, the Gorton was very similar.
The older collets that use a set screw to hold a milling cutter push from one side and over time loose accuracy. I can see how the E.R. style collets could be better, and it's not an adapter that sticks out farther than normal.
A lot of this tooling and holders made today is better because of cnc manufacturing.
Ill look around to see if there may be better Brand names.

Back