Got A New Pm Mill Comming!

Congratulations on completing that grueling phase of dealing with that nasty disease! And it made a lump in my throat reading about your wonderful bride and those two great boys you have! You are indeed a very lucky man!!

Just take it easy "working" in the shop - take it slow and enjoy "puttering around" instead of working..:)

God Bless and a speedy recovery to you!

Last edited:
Glad you're done with that. I couldn't imagine what you have gone through.
And congrats on the new mill! Im sure you will enjoy it thoroughly.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

JR...

out of curiosity just how tall would you need to build the base for that particular mill for your height? I'm thinking about getting a mill right after the new year and was wondering about that aspect of it.

JR...

out of curiosity just how tall would you need to build the base for that particular mill for your height? I'm thinking about getting a mill right after the new year and was wondering about that aspect of it.

Air Wolf, well, first of all, you need to know that I have never even laid my hands on a mill, so my advise isn't worth much. However, I have read, and read, and read all the threads that I could find on this great forum, and the general opinion is that the table height of 34" leads to sore backs after a session of machining. One post I read, the OP said he raised his 932 by about 5-6", and , when asked, he said he was 6 feet tall. Based on that, and a number of other posts, and also, simply holding a tape measure up in front of me, I'm thinking that 8 to 10" would be perfect for me. Of course that decision was made easy because I happen to have a few lengths of 8" tall structural I beams laying around that I brought home from a job I was on before I retired. I figure on welding the I beams into a frame that the mill base will bolt on to, and once I add leveling feet to the bottom, it will raise the table about 10"
One thing to be careful of---whatever mill you are considering, find out what the maximum height is with the head (if it's a bench mill) raised up to the max. You don't want to hit the ceiling. In my case, the 932 pdf max height is 82", so if I make a base 10" high, My back will thank me, and my garage ceiling will be safe. Hope this helps, as I have received SO MUCH advise on this forum, that I would really like to start "paying back". One piece of advise that I guarantee is correct, Whatever questions you have, THIS is the BEST place to ask!! Good luck, and happy machining. JR49

Congrats, JR, on the new mill but most especially the conclusion of your treatments. I hope the treatments dealt with the condition and that you have a long and happy life. The way your family chose to surprise you says a great deal about the man you are. Let me join the others in heartfelt congratulations!!!

Regarding the question of height: I have a similar mill and I find that having the x and y axis handles high enough such that my forearms are somewhat close to horizontal works out well from a comfort perspective. This height will vary for any given person and machine combination, but in my particular case, that puts the milling table somewhere around 44-45" off the ground. Ideally a couple more inches would be near perfect, but my setup is not too bad in that I don't have to bend over too far when trying to closely examine something in the vise.

Hmmm

good point Bill... makes quite a lot of sense. I also have read others with the mill raise it anywhere from 6"- 8"...

JR - seeing what Bill said about having your forearms horizontal on the controls, where would that put your measurement at??

Funny you should ask that now AirWolf, because I just read Bill's post which makes perfect sense to me (thanks for that Bill). So, I stood up from the computer and measured. With my forearm horizontal, my hand is right at 45", and It occurred to me that anyone setting up a mill should follow Bill's advise, because, although he didn't say how tall he is, what matters is not only height but also arm length. I expected my measurement to be higher than that (at 6'3") but I have really long arms (have trouble finding shirt sleeves to fit). So I'm going to make the base 10-11". Also FYI, I'm planning on having the 2 side beams (parallel with Y axis) the same width as the mill mounting holes, while the front and back beams (parallel with X axis) will be wider than the mill base, for more side to side stability. OK, Instead of talking about it I need to get out there and DO IT! Happy machining, JR49
EDIT, Any thoughts on how much wider than the mill base the "outriggers" should be for best stability ?

Last edited:
I'm 6'3". Short legs (32" inseam) long torso and arms.

AirWolf has been to my little shop. I think I'm a bit taller than he is?

Edit: I measured my forearms at 44-45 from the ground when parallel. FYI...

Last edited:
I'm 6'3". Short legs (32" inseam) long torso and arms.

AirWolf has been to my little shop. I think I'm a bit taller than he is?

Edit: I measured my forearms at 44-45 from the ground when parallel. FYI...

Yeah Bill you are a bit taller than me...pretty much like everyone else on the forums..... like about 8" higher altitude...

sniff sniff

Back