Got My New Pm-1340gt Lathe Last Night

sanddan

Active User
Registered
Well my new lathe arrived last night. I had ordered a lift gate delivery and specified a "short" truck so he could fit up my driveway but they showed up with a pretty big truck. I am in Oregon near Portland and we are getting some pretty bad weather right now so I had really hoped the truck would show up before dark. He ended up getting there a half hour late, 4:30, and of course the rain was just pelting down and it was getting dark. After negotiating the turn from the main road onto our driveway he had no trouble getting up to my house but that's when the fun began. I actually have a lot of room between the shop and the house to maneuver in but it was now dark and the driver hadn't been there before so it required several tries to bet the truck turned around and jockeyed in front of the access door. At one point in this mess the truck got off the gravel and into the muddy field and wasn't moving, just digging down. I was seriously worried at this point we would have to get a tow truck to get him back on the gravel. I dug around his drive tires to form a ramp and we gave her hell and just got it out. Lucky he was pointed down hill at the time so gravity could do it's thing. Finely the truck was positioned in front of the door and we could just get the lift gate to reach the shop floor. Then the driver discovered that his pallet jack wouldn't fit the crate as it was too low and it was also wedged into the corner restricting access. I wasn't about to give up at that point so I found a piece of steel tubing and some blocking and we managed to raise the crate enough to get his pallet jack under it. I was on the ground by the lift gate when he was getting the lathe onto the gate when the lathe tilted and started to slide off toward the floor. I thought for sure I was a dead man at that point but he got the jack lowered and the crate on the lift gate just in time. I thought I was going to have a heart attack. I was so glad when the lathe was safe on the floor. I was soaking wet from the rain but happy to be alive and in one piece. I got the crate opened up today and everything looks good except I couldn't find the VFD anywhere. I called PM and my name was down for a VFD but it was never shipped so that will be a few more days getting here. I didn't get any pictures of the delivery since most of it was in the dark and pouring rain. I'll try to get a pic of the hole in the mud where the truck was almost stuck. He was off the gravel into the field by at least 3 or 4 feet. Looking at it I can't believe we got it out without a tow truck. Dodged a bullet there. I'll update this thread as I get the lathe up and running.

That's quite an adventure. :eek 2: Happy to hear everything worked out.:)

A few pictures of the truck coming up the drive. It was actually darker out than the picture shows.
P1030537.JPG
P1030538.JPG
P1030539.JPG
P1030540.JPG
P1030541.JPG
P1030542.JPG
P1030543.JPG
P1030544.JPG
P1030545.JPG

Hi
what is the blue lathe on the shop floor, pictures please.
jeff

Congratulations on your new arrival, Always a good day when a new toy I mean tool shows up :)

Congratulations on the new equipment! :encourage:
That must have been a big relief to have it inside on the concrete.
I am glad "everyone" is safe.....man and machine.

-brino

Thanks all. Funny, before the delivery I was suffering from back spasms. My wife claimed it was from stress of the new lathe which I poo pooed but amazingly enough it was gone the next day after delivery!. Guess she knows me pretty well.

Haven't made much progress so far except collecting the wiring bits. It will be a few days before the VFD gets here so no big rush. I plan on cleaning up the area the lathe will occupy and painting the wall behind it. I'll get some before and after pics.

Thats a pretty nice lathe you got there. Having read other owners here im pretty sure you will not regret your choice. I have been considering this lathe for while and saving funds for it. Now I realize its out of reach . The increasing difference with canadian dollar would make me throw too much money in the garbage . Money I should be spending on tooling and stuff. I cannot control this so I started looking localy for used equipment or new import stuff (but boy I dont feel too confident in the import stuff sold around here)
Great buy and ah yeah, post some pics so those like me can drool

Back