Got my new SG project today.

Razzle

Jack of All, Master of None
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Picked up my Boyar Schultz 1A618 from the trucking terminal today. Got it home, off the trailer, and into the garage. Sides off the crate and there it is. My project for the next year.
The axis all work smooth but it is going to require a complete tear down, clean up, rust removal and paint. The table top is especially nasty as it was set up for flood coolant and it shows. No mag chuck and no hydraulic pump. I have some questions that I would like some input on.
1. Tear down. I need to get it somewhat apart to clean and paint. So do you think an engine hoist would be a good investment to keep me from doing something stupid? (Like getting it off the trailer myself. Doh!)
2. Hydraulics. Any opinions on using an off the shelf pump? Anyone have any specs or recommendations?
3. Mag chuck. Any opinions on the Chinese ones? They are much more affordable than used american or new quality.

Like my Logan 820 lathe, this will probably take me a year. But I will know all about it when I am done. Excited and trepidations all at the same time.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I used my engine hoist a lot when I was working on my Parker Majestic.
I work alone and could not lift the table by myself. I also used it to jockey it into position in the shop. Not to mention move other machines around. Best money I ever spent.

Look in the drawings/ manual and see if there are gpm and psi specifications and post them......

Best money I ever spent.
Ditto.

I use my crane to move my air compressors, 14 x 30 lathe, bar feeder on my cnc lathe, and occasional engine or two. I'm sure I've used it other times, but those are the ones that come to mind.

When I bought mine the fold up ones weren't available. I wish I had one of those to save space in my shop.

Sounds like an engine hoist is in my future. Horror freight has the pittsburgh 1 ton foldable for 189 right now. I may go for that. The 618 is 'only' 1000lbs. So 1ton should do what I need. My Logan 820 is only 500ish.
I will look in the manual. I got the pdf off of vintage machinery.org. I printed on 8x11 so the text on the drawings is not legible. I will have to enlarge it to read it. Hydraulics are low priority right now. Got to get it cleaned up and running first. I already ordered a vfd.
Space is at a premium in my garage. Dedicated workshop is probably two years out. So I will be moving parts around a lot. Getting it off the trailer was a nightmare. That hoist will probably get used often

Ok first repair question will be the z axis handle. It's bent. I thought the shaft was bent and I would either straighten it or make a new one. Nope, shaft is fine. Handle hub is bent at the spokes. Looks like cast. Any thoughts in how to straighten it? Heat, press, or gentle nudges with a hammer?
eb60e877d45455f347a3bbc97e0307f8.jpg
02293880231613373116104801310113.jpg
cfd3c4f2a76af75374dba8b1dae885ab.jpg

Get the 2T hoist (it is only #1000 when fully extended). The 1T has very little reach. The little hoist gets used for lots of things.

The cast wheel is very dodgey to fix. Set it aside for now and do some research. I had a similar problem - except the shaft was also bent and one of the arms on the wheel was cracked through. I made a new shaft (using 16mm prehard shafting - difficult to cut the key way, but worked well for running in the needle bearings). A buddy did a weld repair (I believe a high nickel rod), then I made a jig to clamp the rim. I heated the arms and gently pulled it back (I didn't try to go for perfectly straight, it still has a crack, but I'm the only one who knows there was/is an issue - you can't tell when cranking).

I went with the cheap china permanent mag table. You have to grind it in anyway, so the final result of what you do with the grinder will depend on so many other factors that where the mag is made will be a very minor difference in the results you get (remember, grinding is almost kin to an art).

Keep us posted on your progress.

+1 on the 2 ton hoist.

Back