Grease on carpet - how to remove

dansawyer

Registered
Registered
I am certain I am not the first one to do this. I have tracked grease spots on the carpet near the shop door. Does anyone have any advice on how to remove these spots? They are throw rugs so they can be moved.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks, Dan

"Honey, I got grease on the carpet".
All fixed.
Seriously, good question. Trichlorethane III was the go to solvent. Can't buy it anymore.

Get an even spread of grease all over the carpet to match the colour of the spots?

Acetone is magic, but test it on a bit underneath to check it's not going to eat it.

A product called Tuffstuff. It's mainly a very strong automotive upholstery cleaner. I have had awesome results with it, from white boat seats, to cleaning an entire grimy mill and lathes.

I used WD-40 at one point then soap and water.

Test it on a spot first.

I would try to absorb as mich as possible using a rag dampened with mineral sporits. You don't want to spread it around. Grease is notoriously difficult to dissolve with detergents. They tend to smear it, making the problem worse. Once you have removed the bulk of the greaase, you can use Dawn or something similar to clean up any residual grease and the residual mineral spirits. Since they are throw rugs, you mighr want to take them to a professional cleaner. A dry cleaner should be able to remove the grease.

"Honey, I got grease on the carpet".
All fixed.
Seriously, good question. Trichlorethane III was the go to solvent. Can't buy it anymore.
Before trichlor, it was carbon tetrachoride Remember Energine spot remover? Same stuff, also Pyrene fire extingiushers.

Coleman camp fuel or lighter fluid (naphtha)
or orange oil (I like Citra-Solv, available at Whole Foods)
-Mark

Last edited:
Back