Grease on carpet - how to remove

Assuming the throw rugs are washable, generously spray the stained area(s) with Resolve laundry stain remover. Give it a 1/2 hour to work, then wash the rug(s).

You might even get an 'atta boy' for doing some housework.

While employed with Unilever , we used Dawn . ( P&G product) :big grin:

Palmolive Oxy is the best soap that I have found and will most likely get it out. I have used peanut butter (I'm serious) to remove a glue that my multitude of nasty solvents didn't phase. Then let to dog clean up for you. You will need to finish up with some soap to get the peanut oil out.

1,1,1 Trochloroethane (dry-cleaning solvent) was magic. I cleaned a large quantity (about half of a cup) of old diesel oil off of a car's carpet floor mat with it. Too bad you can't buy it any more. I still have a small stash that I only use in emergencies.

If any of the above cleaning methods do not work,:frown: go to plan B. Switch abodes with the dog.:dog:

Acetone is magic, but test it on a bit underneath to check it's not going to eat it.
Interesting you say that.
We work on cars here at the dealership. California makes us dilute the brake parts cleaner 90% with acetone.
The problem with acetone is it doesn't degrease as well as alcohol and hexane. If we use straight acetone it evaporates so fast you really can't use it for cleaning up after a messy repair. Also straight acetone takes the paint off the oil filter and the frame.
To clean grease off brake rotors, there is nothing better than the old chlorinated products.
Now we use hexane, alcohol and acetone. I won't disclose the mix :)
I would agree though, try any solvent on an underside to make sure it's not going to run the colors.

... grease spots on the carpet near the shop door. Does anyone have any advice on how to remove these spots? They are throw rugs so they can be moved.
I'd smear in some waterless hand cleaner, try to saturate the region. Then the grease will emulsify with water,
so get some chickenwire/hardware cloth, make a rack of it, and rinse out the goo by pouring warm
water on the back of the rug... ideally, that won't spread the damage.
Solids in the grease (moly disulphide? copper? black iron oxides?) might be left behind,
though.

Never tried this but TSP?

Another tip I got - from a windscreen fitter years ago - was swarfega wipes. They'll shift anything! Which is high praise from guys that deal with industrial adhesive schmoo all day long.

Acetone evaporating is both a blessing and a curse!!

I think they are called “throw” rugs for a reason.

Back