Grease on carpet - how to remove

I have had very good results with this product: https://oileater.com/
I have been using it for about 10 years and have purchased it in 5 gallon buckets from Costco and have used it for everything from de-greasing the Bar-B-Q to getting grease/oil out of clothing.
Ted

my upholsterer turned me on to what works years ago. i have had 100% success

Spray 9

Not sure if it was mentioned already because I got lazy after the second page of comments but I recently saw a video on ytube where a guy used cooking oil to remove grease off his hands and he also said it was great for grease on carpet cleanup. He said olive oil could work too but of course it can be a little more expensive. It worked in the video and he really did have his hands thick with grease. His instructions for the carpet were essentially to use a damp cloth put the oil on, rub it in and it would pull up the grease, then the cooking oil, being much lighter in nature, would clean up with soap and water.

Took me a bit of searching but here is the video:

I used to work at a place that made professional carpet cleaning equipment and the cleaning agents that went with them.
As an engineer designing their products, I had to go to school to get certified as a carpet care professional.
They actually had carpet on the floor of the machine shop to make sure it got REAL dirty. They would then test cleaning agents and processes to se what would get it clean. I was there for 18 years and it never ceased to amaze me what these cleaners could get out of carpet.

#1 rule, NEVER rub a spot while cleaning it, you will only spread it. Use a solvent that will break down the spot and not damage the carpet and then LOTS of blotting with clean white towels or white paper towels to draw it out of the carpet. I have seen color of towels and the printing on paper towels transfer to the carpet. If it does need some agitation use a stiff bristle brush and small circular movements, just enough to agitate it but not enough to spread it.

Carpet can be made from many different materials, each will have resistance to different chemicals and be safe with different chemicals but also damaged by different chemicals, so always test the cleaner you are about to use in an inconspicuous place.

With proper technique I have had to clean a bright red Automatic Transmission Fluid spill out of my living room light beige carpet.

Unfortunately the recipe for the cleaner is not something that could be reproduced at home, there are active ingredients that are only a few ounces into a 250 gallon batch. and that batch makes over 6000 lbs of cleaner. Plus the recipe is a closely guarded company secret. It was a real bummer when they had to stop using 1,1,1-Trichloroethane in the recipe.

I have had to clean a bright red Automatic Transmission Fluid spill out of my living room

I'm assuming you are not married if you lived to tell that story.

Kevin J.

I'm assuming you are not married if you lived to tell that story.

Kevin J.
I am married in all aspects except for the piece of paper.

It really was not my fault, A friend had a car problem he did not know about. The vent on his trans plugged up and is it built internal pressure it was pushing ATF up the speedo cable and it was dripping out of the speedo head onto his feet, He came in the front door and across the carpet not knowing he was leaving tracks. The ATF was literally dripping off of him.

@dansawyer

I've noticed that once you've had your question answered, you don't bother to return to the thread and let us know what you chose to do and how it worked out. Sharing your experience with a chosen solution would be adding (Contributing) to the information pool. What say you?

@dansawyer

I've noticed that once you've had your question answered, you don't bother to return to the thread and let us know what you chose to do and how it worked out. Sharing your experience with a chosen solution would be adding (Contributing) to the information pool. What say you?
Point taken, there may be a deley until a thread is closed. We have been traveling to see family and the thread is still open.
On the other hand the thread below was closed with results when it was completed:
A good effort is made to report results and close threads; I will work to make sure this is done in a more timely manner.
Dan

Buy new house. It's the only way she'll quickly forget about your blunder.

Back