Greenfield #8 tap wrench handles

For the record, TRW owned Greenfield Tap & Die for awhile, so it's not uncommon to see old stock labeled as TRW but it was still produced by GTD. I have a die set where some of them are marked as TRW and others GTD. Now they go by the name Widia.

The older GTD tap wrenches seem to have a better finish as at some point they stopped using nickle and just went with black oxide.

Doogie, thanks for the bit of info. I will tell you that this #8 tap wrench looks to be identical to all Greenfield #8's I have seen, so you post makes a lot of sense. If this is a "clone" it is a darn good one!

If I understand your posts correctly appearance is the sole reason that you want to replace working tool handles?

Wreck- I found the perfect Christmas gift for you next year!

1517275376424.png

I'm sure someone is getting this for me also!
Robert

Wreck, yup. Then I'll have them powder coated Sunset Fucia with metallic highlights...............................it will go well with the Lime Green I plan to coat the main body with.........although, I am considering earthy pastels in the rest of the shop tooling..............................

Besides, Dykum Red and Blue are soooooo retro for the motif I am trying to achieve.........................:p

being totally serious, at 12" handle length, they are a wee bit anemic for larger taps.......in addition to being just plain ugly. I was planning to upgrade to 18" handles with will give a 50% increase in torque capabilities with the same force applied (measured in foot pounds) That being said, I also wouldn't mind the handles being in similar condition to the tool head, which is in Very good condition. Hope that answers your question. I guess I could also go with heavy wall tubing instead of solid rod or new black pipe.

What my original question was all about was, since 3/4" black pipe OD is 1.050 and solid rod OD is 1.000, does the missing 0.050 from the major diameter of the thread for 3/4" NPT make that much difference since this is not a pressure fitting and the thread is tapered if I were to use 1.000 OD stock. My question still stands. Whether I use solid rod or heavy wall tubing. I get the weight consideration, and that can be part of the final solution decision. I can either use the stock "as is" (which I have on hand), or I need to buy 1.125 stock, and turn the thread area down to 1.050

Stock handles are supposed to make this assembly ~ 40" overall. You want the full diameter so that the handle fully engages the taper of the tap holder without applying pressure to the threads. Use steel so you can even add a cheater when necessary. Aluminum has no place on a tool like this.

Back