Grizzly G0670 16x40 Taiwan Variable Speed Lathe

I bought a 10hp Phase craft rotary converter panel with magnetic switch, cost about 200, then I bought a used 10hp 3 phase motor, put new bearings in it. So for 400 bucks I am set except for some overhead wiring from rotary converter to lathe. I was told by numerous folks that I did not want to try powering the lathe with a VFD in front of a VFD drive. They will talk to each other and have issues. The folks that made the G7 inverter told me I could try and run it on single phase but they doubted it was oversized enough to pull off, said I likely would not have full power even if it worked. One guy I talked to who has owned the lathe since they first came out runs his on a 8hp rotary phase converter with no issues, although he says he does not take huge cuts in his use of machine. Why Grizzly pitches a 30 hp rfc for this machine is a mystery. 10 ought to do fine, i will find out in a few weeks.

Regarding the plastic gear on lathe, ya its odd, but Ford and others use plastic gears in the trannies of 3/4 ton pickups so maybe not such a bad thing. Seeing as its only the one gear I suspect its for good reason and not just economy. My guess is it makes engaging the feed gears easier and as mentioned quieter. If it becomes a wear item, I bet Boston gear makes something that would work or shudder we could fire up the dividing head and build our own.

michael

Well they are just driving the feed screw with that plastic gear not the spindle so that made me feel a bit better. Yes Grizzly is smoking crack on their recommended RPC.

Oops I forgot I still need to add a 3phase disconnect fuse panel between converter and lathe, so probably another hundred there. Going to cobble up a shop built wood box for rotary phase converter motor to sit on, with the inside used to hold bags of lead shot to keep it from walking around, I hate bolting stuff to floors and walls, as soon as i do I find i want to move it 2 inches. Should help keep things quiet and the RFC motor will be away from the major chip producers, plus in TEFC so should be fine.

michael

Keeping the RPC away from flying chips and mess duly noted. The American Rotary AD RPC I'm looking at comes with a number of options, some of this electrical may be cheaper locally...though I always feel like I got mugged after doing an electrical parts run around here.

https://www.americanrotary.com/products/view/ad-digital-smart-series

Options

Outdoor enclosure
Wireless remote start
Wired remote start
3 Phase panel mount breaker
Panel mount twist lock receptical
Cord plugs and recepticals
Rubber isolation pads
Single phase load center
Three phase load center
Three phase disconnect switch

be careful with complete RFC deals..... lots of them use a cheap Chinese motor. Much better to get old USA built motor that has been dipped, better insulation, and most important, quieter running. Your local recycle center, power company or craiglist might be good places to find one. I just asked around and a guy in my metal working group had one, USA made, needed bearings and has one bent foot but its nice and quiet running, which is important to me in a small shop. I wonder who builds the motors for American Rotary?

Made in USA GENTEC/Baldor VIT™ Generator - Our engineering departments spent over 2 years engineering the perfect generator for a Rotary Phase Converter, and we are currently undergoing the patent process. Our custom generator is one of a kind in our industry and outperforms the standard motor/idlers found on a typical phase converter.

Our VIT™ generator features Variable Impendence Technology. VIT™ provides a Soft Start using only 1/3 of the starting current to get the idler generator started unlike the traditional off-the-shelf 3 phase motors found in typical phase converters. The VIT™ provides precise power, runs cooler for longer life and can run continuously from a no load condition through full load.

I think you should just put in your own sub-station in the back yard and call it good... :cool:

I think you should just put in your own sub-station in the back yard and call it good... :cool:

(channeling Curly from the Three Stooges) Oh a wise guy eh (gives Bill the two finger poke in the eye)

Also needed it to move that big crate, I smell cosmoline.
/QUOTE]

Coolidge-

What was in the crate? Enquiring minds want to know.

Just angled enough I can't make out what the writing on the side says.

Hey tmarks11 its a Charter Oak 12z Mill, we determined that the original mill could not be salvaged and so they sent me a replacement mill. I just spent 6 hours uncrating the new one then re-crating the old one for return shipping I'm beat.

(Hello, Outback Steakhouse, throw a fillet on the grill I'll be there shortly)

Back