Grizzly G0670 16x40 Taiwan Variable Speed Lathe

Hey tmarks11 its a Charter Oak 12z Mill, we determined that the original mill could not be salvaged and so they sent me a replacement mill.
bummer, didn't realize you were having so many problems with your mill. Hopefully the second one will work out.

That thing was possessed. Here's hoping the new one is better than mine (which works great). :)

Hey tmarks I noticed the pictures on Grizzly's website show this lathe painted bright white yet in the pics you posted it looks like a cream color, was that just white balance on your camera or was cream the actual color?

I think it is cream colored. But that doesn't really mean anything, as th model on their showroom floor has probably set there for the last 6 years, and the new ones might be painted a different color.

Yes I visit the Greer website frequently, to drool. Hey lets talk VFD's...so is there any reason I could not use a 10hp VFD to power this lathe vs a rotary phase converter? I mean what does the lathe care where the 25 amps of 3 phase power comes from. Set it to 60hz and I don't see why the lathe wouldn't be happy with that. I can get a 10hp VFD for substantially less than a RPC.

Coolidge, I am also looking at purchasing the G0670 lathe from Grizzly and have also done a lot of research on it and its competitors. I actually went to the factory in Taiwan where the Grizzly G0670 and G0740 are built. When I was there, they were building a batch of Kent Lathes, Acra and they have a separate building where they build all the Southbends.... unfortunately they were not building either of the high end Grizzly lathes when I was there. FYI, the same factory also builds the high end Jet lathes. I looked at the Kent lathes also... I visited them in California and went to a dealer in Toronto who brought me to an airplane landing gear manufacturing company that were using them to manufacture critical components for fixed wing aircraft landing gear... impressive. I still think that the Grizzly G0670 is the best value for price... you have variable speed, constant surface speed control (if thats important to you). I know that the Kent versions say that they will run off single phase, but the same Yaskawa G7 VFD is in both. The G0670 has a pressurised oil system for the headstock. The oil pump is a 3 phase pump. Also the coolant pump is 3 phase and that is one of the reasons that you can't run this lathe from single phase. You could of course swap out the oil and coolant pumps for single phase versions or put a small VFD in front of each of the two pumps......but thats just adding to the expense. I think that I will go with a rotary phase converter but I don't think that I will buy the 30HP grizzly recommended one.

Grizzly told me they would ship today. I figure it comes in late Friday or Monday. My rigger should be back in town this weekend so I suspect we will have it sitting in shop sometime next week. I have made room for it, just barely. Probably be another week before its leveled and wired up, I am waiting to install lathe before doing the final overhead run of wire and drop down to motor. Running conduit on ceilings when you have a bad back blows, so I am waiting till lathe is here so I can drop it right where it needs to be. RFC and disconnect (fused) will be on wall about 10' away near panel. I should be able to run both lathes if needed, about 2 steps away from each other, across I bay of garage.

michael

You guys are an inspiration to me.

You know what they say: "If your wife doesn't burst out crying when she steps into your shop, than you don't have much of a shop"....

Honey I ordered this new lathe and got a free pair of diamond earrings, you want them?

Update: Still no joy on a 10% off discount code, there's about 2 weeks left on the one in the March/April issue of Wood Working, I'm checking the mailbox daily.

Back