Grizzly G8688 Tailstock moves as I tighten it to the ways

Go to "Downloads" on the task bar at the top of the page. When there scroll down. "Reference" is the last section on the index.

"Billy G" :thinking:

Go to "Downloads" on the task bar at the top of the page. When there scroll down. "Reference" is the last section on the index.

Found it! Silly me, I was originally looking in 'Downloads - Import Lathes and Mills'.

M

Found it! Silly me, I was originally looking in 'Downloads - Import Lathes and Mills'.

M

That's OK Mike, we all get goofed up once in a while. Glad I could help.

"Billy G"

While you are messing with it see if you can find a spring (compression) to go on the bolt between the tail stock and clamping plate. The clamping plate tends to hangup while moving the tailstock, unless it is really loose. Then to clamp it takes a few resets o'de wrench which gets tiresome. The spring will help hold it away from the bed and make life easier.

I had one of those lathes, wish I hadn't sold it.

Steve

Thanks guys - I will have to get a picture or video of what's happening. I am quite certain it's not centering and rather pulling to one side. If I face a piece of material I will have a nice pattern with a pretty identifiable center point from the machining marks. If I square up the tail stock and start tightening the nut, the center drill walks away from center. I will check my orientation on the underside. I wish the tail stock fastened with a better method.

Pics and or video to follow.

You may have to reset the tailstock on its base. Your last description sounds lie a taper problem.

You may have to reset the tailstock on its base. Your last description sounds lie a taper problem.

No its definitely not a taper problem - the holes I drill are square to the work. You'll see what I mean when I post up a video. If I don't tighten the tail stock too hard, it's fine. If I tighten to where I feel it should be (for drilling stainless,etc.) it walks over.

Here is a video where I am drilling bronze and its fine, because I don't have to crank her down very hard to keep the tail stock from pushing backward.

[video=vimeo;54826152]http://vimeo.com/54826152[/video]

Thanks guys - I will have to get a picture or video of what's happening. I am quite certain it's not centering and rather pulling to one side. If I face a piece of material I will have a nice pattern with a pretty identifiable center point from the machining marks. If I square up the tail stock and start tightening the nut, the center drill walks away from center. I will check my orientation on the underside. I wish the tail stock fastened with a better method.

Pics and or video to follow.

Most tailstocks use that method of fastening, it's just that the 7x lathes do it rather crudely.
If you have a mill or get a milling attachment for the lathe you could easily machine one out of a small aluminum or brass block to fit beneath and between the ways more precisely.
While you are at it you'll find it much more convenient to convert to a lever and cam to lock the tailstock in position, rather than having to use a wrench each time; it's probably one of the most common mods for a 7x and you can either buy a kit from the LMS or there are numerous plans freely available online.

M

Most tailstocks use that method of fastening, it's just that the 7x lathes do it rather crudely.
If you have a mill or get a milling attachment for the lathe you could easily machine one out of a small aluminum or brass block to fit beneath and between the ways more precisely.
While you are at it you'll find it much more convenient to convert to a lever and cam to lock the tailstock in position, rather than having to use a wrench each time; it's probably one of the most common mods for a 7x and you can either buy a kit from the LMS or there are numerous plans freely available online.

M

Thanks - no mill yet. I have one at work but as an IT guy I try not to bother the machine guy (much) lol

Do you have a link to the one on LMS? I couldn't find it!

Thanks!

Back