Group Project: Dividing Head - Organization and Design

Did you need me to call someone this weekend to talk on the phone? Ill set up a time to do so.
@Flyinfool is setting up calls with individuals as he gets to that part of the drawing. Also, I had your username wrong on the "make" list.

Speaking of which, we still have a few spots open. If no one wants to sign up, we'll need to recruit additional members,

1) Drawing (@Flyinfool)
2) Worm, Gear (@ErichKeane) - -
3) Spindle Shaft (@erikmannie) - - 4140?
4) Trunnion and Bearing (@ttabbal)
5) End Plates
5) Base, Selector Crank Arm, Spindle Lock with Indexing Pin (@Shotgun ) - - A35
6) Worm Crank and Selector Pin (@Brento) - -
7) Index Plates (@Ianagos)
8) Chuck/Front Index Plate/Backing Plate,

Also, BTW, number 8 there is an either or. We never really decided what we want to do with the business end of the device.

Quote Reply

My cell number is Erik at (707)293-8973. I have no cell signal M-F during my long workdays, but weekends are wide open!

As @Shotgun said I will be calling people as I need info for their part. I want to have the part pretty much designed before we talk so we can both have an idea of what is needed and then we can decide on how to accomplish it within your capabilities. I would hate to design a part for someone that they are not capable of making.

Once I have all the parts designed then I can create a complete BOM (Bill of Material) this will list right down to every last screw, spring, washer, and anything else required whether made or purchased.

I was not going to actually create the drawing until I had most or all of the design done so that I retain the freedom to change anything to help work with someones machine capabilities. Changes to their part might require changes to other parts to match. This is the first time I am designing where each part is to made in a different shop with different and sometimes limited capability. This makes it harder but it is still a blast.

I had to take a few days off due to life getting in the way. I am feeling better now and back on it.

A few have mentioned they would like to see a 3D that they can look at, I am designing this in Solidworks, Even though I have been a Mechanical Design Engineer for the last 40+ years, I am new to Solidworks, so some things may be a bit slower that if I had access to Inventor that I used for the last 20 years. So there atr 2 options for posting files, I can post the native Solidworks files (IF the file size is uploadable) or this site will also allow uploading of STEP files which should be able to opened in almost all CAD software.

Let me know what you would like to see.
O I can just keep posting occasional screen shot pics like the last one. Be honest, How many of you clicked on that picture and tried to rotate it, and then did it more than once....... :laughing: I know I do it all the time.

OK, I'll shut up now and get back to work.....

I wish i could take another part but i dont have the capabilities right now to do it. I will be ready to talk any time.

I don't have a good idea how to make a scroll for a scroll chuck, but a 4-jaw style for this night be a good followup project :) Perhaps a sketch of what we are considering can be helpful in deciding/finding a volunteer.

For me i am not sure what type of attachment i will be using on the business end. I have a South Bend 9A but idk what threads the spindle is. I know i plan to get some 5c collets at some point so if that was possible to set up to hold them that would be great. Or like we once talked about leaving the spindle open for the owner to change how they want? A neat concept would be if you can set up the spindle to be interchanged in a way so you can go from 5c to a lathe chuck. Although if we set the spindle up to hold a lathe chuck with threads or which ever, i can always make my own adapter to hold 5c.

Maybe include a blank mounting plate for the chuck? That way people could drill it to whatever pattern they need..
Mike_f set his up with a quick indexing plate. Could that double as a chuck mounting plate?

Mike_f set his up with a quick indexing plate. Could that double as a chuck mounting plate?

I would think you could drill a few holes in it and mount a chuck to it.

The indexing plate as Mark did it would not hold the weight of a chuck. It was just for indexing, he had the nose of the spindle threaded to match his lathe chuck.

BUT it might be possible for me to design the indexing plate to be strong enough to mount a chuck to.

Back