Group Project: Dividing Head - Organization and Design

As to weight, SolidWorks is telling me that the Main Base would weight 9.11 pounds as drawn here.

Well if you guys need my help I’d like to be in on this project.

I can do solidworks design but also have cnc machines at my disposal. I don’t really have a need for the finished product but I’d think it would be cool to do.

I'm game, but is this design practical? I'm looking for some seriously experienced input on this question, because:
-How does that Selector Arm work being so thin?
-Is the handle at the highest point supposed to lock the spindle by locking the worm? How much play would that allow in the spindle?
-I'd assume that the "chuck" could be changed out for something more pratical.
-What is holding the mechanism off the base?

I'd noticed the selector arm... that was definitely something I'd probably consider redesigning. Same with the top handle.

Presumably just subbing out the chuck for a common chuck-thread would be easy enough.

As far as 'what is holding the mechanism off the base'... I got no idea :) I invited him to join this conversation, so perhaps we can get answers/help make reasonable modifications.

Well if you guys need my help I’d like to be in on this project.

I can do solidworks design but also have cnc machines at my disposal. I don’t really have a need for the finished product but I’d think it would be cool to do.

@Ianagos , I think we have a volunteer to head up the drawing. With the CNC capability, how would you feel about making the indexing plates?

That would have to be the most tedious job to do manually.

In a perfect design, the gear and the worm would be brass? Mark's base proved to be inadequate and he added a support. The base should be redesigned. Do you think a horizontal/vertical rotary table would be an easier project?
Robert
@rwm, would you like to volunteer for a part of this project? I could get the steel for the base from my uncle, and you're close enough that we could run it down there. He's in Greensboro. The stuff is 6"x6"x3/4" A36.

You can add me to the list of people who will manufacture one (or two) of the parts. I just need a drawing with tolerances on it.
@erikmannie , did you read the thread on Mark_f's build? Which part(s?) would you find yourself being partial to building?

@erikmannie , did you read the thread on Mark_f's build? Which part(s?) would you find yourself being partial to building?

I need some time to catch up on Mark_f’s thread.

I would have chosen the spindle, but it looks like Ernest (presumably Shotgun) has already claimed this group of parts. I don’t think I could have made a gear. If needed, I am willing to knock out just a spindle; I see nothing on the spindle that worries me. Hobbing gears, not so much.

If not the spindle, hopefully something on the lathe. I have a large precision lathe, but my mill is a PM-25MV.

I am up for anything. What group of parts is still up for grabs?

I will get caught up on the Mark_f thread in the next 24 hours or so.

Last edited:
@Ianagos , I think we have a volunteer to head up the drawing. With the CNC capability, how would you feel about making the indexing plates?

That would have to be the most tedious job to do manually.

That would be good. I think the lathe is only good to .0001 degree indexing is that gonna be accurate enough ?(sarcasm)

Although I may do that on the mill I’m not sure it’s really just whatever is available at the moment.

I know my lathe has the capability to hob gears aswell but I do not know how to make it do those things but if we need something like that I can try to learn.

Back