Hacksaw And Cutoff Q & Observations

I have 3 or 4 Hack saws with fine to course blades , abrasive chop saw ,a 15 " band saw and a cold saw 14" blade . Each has it's place. like someone said you can't have too many files or saws.

My hacksaw solutions...
IMAG0455.jpg
My old Lennox or my new Enco. I hardly use the Lennox since I got the big saw, it is a bit creepy the way it just melts right through stuff. It was painful to buy, but I am grateful I ponied up the cash each time I turn it on.

Thanks for the technique tips; As I mentioned, I can't justify a bandsaw for most of the small work I do. An occasional big piece I can handle smooth enough with my hacksaw and the added techniques and tips you've given me. I plan to do some shopping soon for blades and wax.

sorry; I have 1 more question. I've been looking at some diy hacksaw cutting (machine) sites. Some of them use weights to apply pressure.

When using a hacksaw by hand, you apply pressure on forward stroke and back off on the back stroke.

But a hacksaw cutting machine doesn't know or do this. Even pressure is applied on the fore and back stroke.

Therefore, it would seem that an automated hacksaw cutting setup would shorten the life of the blade if the same pressure were applied in both directions?

Not true. My Keller has switching so that the down feed is on the backstroke and on the forward stroke the arm actually rises off the work a tad. Other saws are similar, but may use mechanical means to take pressure off on the forward stroke.

-frank

I'm with Frank. I have only seen a few of the older powered hacksaws and they lifted the blade away on the backstroke by means of a mechanical cam device. Otherwise, as you say, the blade life would be atrocious.

Personally, if I were to move away from a hacksaw, I would go straight to a horizontal/vertical bandsaw - so much more efficient and useful. A bandsaw is useful for cutting off bar stock but it is also very useful for debulking parts heading for the mill. Go for the bandsaw - you will not regret it.

I was also going to build a hacksaw. There is a thread somewhere on this forum of me asking questions about it.
A shop made hack saw it a pretty simple thing, except for the blade lift.
Little ones like Myforboy's saw do not use a blade lift from what I see.
I was not going to bother unless I could cut some bigger material.
In the end, the complication of building a blade lifter that was both robust and adjustable killed the deal. Unless you own your own scrapyard, you can easily spend more making a hacksaw than the cost of a new HF band saw.
I need a saw now, not next year. I got a 12" Enco while it was on sale and I am really happy with it, it just melts through anything I put in it.

sorry; I have 1 more question. I've been looking at some diy hacksaw cutting (machine) sites. Some of them use weights to apply pressure.

When using a hacksaw by hand, you apply pressure on forward stroke and back off on the back stroke.

But a hacksaw cutting machine doesn't know or do this. Even pressure is applied on the fore and back stroke.

Therefore, it would seem that an automated hacksaw cutting setup would shorten the life of the blade if the same pressure were applied in both directions?

The power hacksaw i'm rebuilding has an overarm thats about 100kg it drops it with hydrolics and lifts a little on the return stroke.

Stuart

Any good known web pages / threads / videos for hacksaw techniques. ?

Back