Harbor Freight 1720# Trailer for Moving a Clausing 12x36 1200# lathe...400 miles?

GrizzlyBagWorks

Registered
Registered
I knew this day would come...and I've been dreading it for years...but it's here....and approaching quickly.....MOVING DAY.

I've managed to squeeze a lot of tool into a 440 sq ft space but right now my heaviest and move difficult to move is my Clausing 5914 12x36 lathe. For my other tools I've rented a 24' Liftgate box truck and will load and move everything with that. For the lathe I've decided to move it on a trailer.

My question for you guys is do you think the Harbor Freight 1720# capacity 4x8 trailer is up to the task? I'm considering renting a 4x8 ultiity trailer from U-Haul but trailer seems like something pretty useful to have.

Just curious to hear your guys' thoughts on it. I have some friends that think it's crazy and others that don't see why it would be a problem. Thanks for any advice!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 10.56.19 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 10.56.19 PM.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 49
Hard to say without seeing the trailer.
Whatever you do be careful, be very very careful
Carry a spare tire and a jack
Secure well and tarp
I'd set the machine on a piece of thick plywood or some plank to distribute the weigh and keep moisture from coming up underneath while en route.
That's a big chunk of weight w/a small footprint and you DO NOT want it coming loose.
That trailer will more than likely bounce around a lot on the road.
Good luck!

Find a trailer that is load rated for the weight of the lathe. Now most important is the tow vehicle, go is not as important a whoa. If you move it ya gotta stop it, the vehicle should be rated for the weight also....

go is not as important a whoa. If you move it ya gotta stop it
Ain't that the truth! I have been in the business of making things go fast and chassis, suspension and brakes were No.1. Doesn't matter how much power the engine puts out if it doesn't go to ground, you can't negotiate corners or stop on a dime it's a waste of time.
On trailers, yes they have to be matched to the vehicle and preferably are braked. We have a lot of fairly new laws here covering construction and vehicle/trailer weight classes. PITA when you have to move something 10 miles in a hurry but I am all for the safety. I'd never build another that wasn't braked.
All you Americans drive giant trucks anyway so shouldn't be a problem aye? ;)

No on 4 x 8. Too small for such a precious item. Twin axle will dramatically smooth out the ride, as well as provide weight and stability. A used twin axle can be bought for $1000 - $2000.

Why bother with a trailer? Most of the box trucks I've rented say 3,000-4,000 lb. max on the lift gate, so should easily handle 1,200 lb. I moved my mill and my lathe with such trucks both weighing in the mid 2000s. I bolted the lathe to 4x6 "outriggers" to prevent tipping. The mill was already bolted to pallet when I bought it.

I had a trailer similar a few years back, tightening hold down straps would twist the trailer. I would say rent or buy something stronger.

Back