Harbor Freight 1720# Trailer for Moving a Clausing 12x36 1200# lathe...400 miles?

An emphatic NO!

I've owned a couple of those trailers, and while they're fine for light loads, I would never trust them at or even near the rated load. They are rated at 1100lbs. The heaviest thing I've trusted on them is my 500lb lawn tractor.

With your lathe on there, the first chuck hole you hit, it will dump your load!

Rent a Uhaul trailer.

I just wanted thank everyone for their input. Ultimately you all saved me probably $500 on a Harbor Freight Trailer and a possible disaster to my Clausing.

Enterprise ended up upgrading me to a 26' liftgate box truck from my 20' so I had the room for my 5914. I ended up removing the 8 bolts securing the lathe to the pedestals and two bolts securing the chip pan. We just an engine hoist to raise the machine off the pedestals, set it on the ground, then used a narrow/short pallet jack right under the bed. It couldn't have been easier.

I didn't plan on doing it this way, it was a last minute decision. Had I planned for it I would have made a small pallet for the machine. The machine, as well as the other survived the 380 mile trip (through Mt. Shasta and Mt. Ashland) without a scratch. Unloading took me an hour.

Thanks again guys!

And some video and pics for your pleasure :)

Back