• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

Hardinge VBS

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Ripdog38

Swarf
Registered
Not familiar with this model and looking for advise. Found someone with 3-4 of these and they look to be in great shape from the pictures for under $2000. This would be the only lathe in my home shop and wondering if it would be a good choice as I'm not familiar with Turret lathes. Also, do these models have a standard compound that you can swap in?

dlane

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I believe it has a Brown & Sharp spindle taper and the collets get pushed to close, the BS collets should work if you have them ,the lever closer won’t work with 5c collets also the spindle will need an adapter for 5c.
I don’t remember it having a rack for The saddle to travel with. So a x slide may be a prob, They are a production lathe .
My brother got one and converting it to 5C is pricey. But he payed a lot less than that for it.
Got pic’s

T Bredehoft

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
As dlane said, its' a production lathe, set up for end of piece work. It won't turn diameters, won't thread. Exceptions, box turning and threading tools on the turret. Unless it comes with these, I'd despair of finding what you need.
I have and use an Ames turret lathe for 'second op' work, wouldn't do without it, but it's limited.

Last edited:

Ripdog38

Swarf
Registered
Thanks, I’m gonna limit my search to an HVL or other precision lathe, 618 Feeler or something.

Karl_T

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
consider adding a monarch 10EE to your search. Lots of bang/buck here.

[6]
[5] [7]