Harold Hall Tooling

Smudgemo

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hey all, long time since I posted. Kind of got away from machining the last few years, but decided to get crackin' on some projects that I hadn't finished. If you haven't read any of the Workshop Practice Series books, I highly recommend them. Harold Hall is my favorite of the authors, and he also has some other books to his credit where he takes you through lathe or mill projects that start fairly simple and progress in difficulty to build skills, and you use the earlier tools to create the later ones. I skipped most of the projects, but I completed the knurling tool and the boring head so far.

Boring head:

Bore1.jpg

The plans are mostly in metric, but I have been converting things to imperial like fasteners and screws for measurement. It gets a bit dicey here and there for fasteners if you aren't careful, but so far so good.
Bore3.jpg

I replaced the brass wheel with a socket head because this iteration took too much effort, even though keyless was nice.
Bore 2.jpg

Knurling tool:

Knurl1.jpg

Knurl 2.jpg
Knurl4.jpg

Knurl3.jpg

I'm aware that the knurling wheel retaining screws are unsightly, but my local hardware doesn't stock M3 so I'll order some when I order hardware for other projects. I also made a longer clamping bolt after this photo was taken to allow the jaws to open a bit wider.

I'm presently working on Mr. Hall's Advanced Grinder Rest. I'm further than pictured here, but haven't taken any recent photos. I also think I botched a part or two that I may need to remake - not going to act like I'm perfect.

Grinder rest:

grind0.jpg

Grind 1.jpg

Grind 2.jpg

I'll need to make a base for this tool and grinder to mount to, and there are a couple of accessories he designed for use with the rest that I have stock for. Once this one is done (or at least mostly done), I'll be making his Lining Tool for marking out graduated dials in a more consistent and controlled manner. The design is shown for Imperial marking, but has an alternative couple of parts one can make if a fella prefers working in metric.

Anyhow, I just thought I'd share. I haven't used the knurling tool much more than on its own knob, but it feels pretty solid. The boring head is excellent.

His website has a ton of projects and information, but I think you need to buy the books for these particular projects. Fair enough.

Welcome back!

Welcome back!

I have several of his books, based on recommendations from fellow forum members.

Hey all, long time since I posted. Kind of got away from machining the last few years, but decided to get crackin' on some projects that I hadn't finished. If you haven't read any of the Workshop Practice Series books, I highly recommend them. Harold Hall is my favorite of the authors, and he also has some other books to his credit where he takes you through lathe or mill projects that start fairly simple and progress in difficulty to build skills, and you use the earlier tools to create the later ones. I skipped most of the projects, but I completed the knurling tool and the boring head so far.

Boring head:

View attachment 477515

The plans are mostly in metric, but I have been converting things to imperial like fasteners and screws for measurement. It gets a bit dicey here and there for fasteners if you aren't careful, but so far so good.
View attachment 477524

I replaced the brass wheel with a socket head because this iteration took too much effort, even though keyless was nice.
View attachment 477516

Knurling tool:

View attachment 477517

View attachment 477518
View attachment 477519

View attachment 477520

I'm aware that the knurling wheel retaining screws are unsightly, but my local hardware doesn't stock M3 so I'll order some when I order hardware for other projects. I also made a longer clamping bolt after this photo was taken to allow the jaws to open a bit wider.

I'm presently working on Mr. Hall's Advanced Grinder Rest. I'm further than pictured here, but haven't taken any recent photos. I also think I botched a part or two that I may need to remake - not going to act like I'm perfect.

Grinder rest:

View attachment 477523

View attachment 477521

View attachment 477522

I'll need to make a base for this tool and grinder to mount to, and there are a couple of accessories he designed for use with the rest that I have stock for. Once this one is done (or at least mostly done), I'll be making his Lining Tool for marking out graduated dials in a more consistent and controlled manner. The design is shown for Imperial marking, but has an alternative couple of parts one can make if a fella prefers working in metric.

Anyhow, I just thought I'd share. I haven't used the knurling tool much more than on its own knob, but it feels pretty solid. The boring head is excellent.

His website has a ton of projects and information, but I think you need to buy the books for these particular projects. Fair enough.
The one do not see is facing boring head.
Everything I made I designe then make. I do look at others it helps with knowing I going right direction.

Dave

I plan to build the advanced grinder rest and started by making a list of the parts needed. It is not easy, as a newbie, to follow the book. It is not all in one place...

I already purchased a Indexable Dovetail Cutter, 2 Flute, 3/4" Cutting Diameter for the dovetails needed in some parts for the Harold Hall grinding rest...

But the project requires going through the whole book and collecting the list of material and dimensions. I wished it was all a bit better organized, but that is just me being lazy... I love the book and have probably read it more than 10 times... Well, back in March 2022 was the 11th time reading it as the task was to collect the material and hardware list. For those starting in this journey, I can't recommend this book enough... easy reading for a newbie and several recommendations on how to accomplish tasks using different approaches...

IMG_4985.jpeg

IMG_4984.jpeg

Attached is my first attempt at capturing all the material needed... I created a spreadsheet to capture all this. I went over this a few times and have corrected a few mistakes made... there are references to the pages where the information was taken from. This is so I am able to go back and reference the diagram and description just in case I wrote down the wrong dimension in the spreadsheet...

Pretty sure I might be missing something, but at least it is a start. Also, there is a few columns converting to inches from mm. In case I decide to make this using standard measurements instead of metric.

A thread from the man himself introducing his books, He is not active in any forum, that I could find... He also stopped all correspondence back in 2019. He should be 91 years old by now:

www.hobby-machinist.com

An Introduction to my Grinding Rests.

Regarding my videos we now come to what I think are the most important for many as they show my grinding rests being used for sharpening workshop tools. I say important, as it has become apparent that some have made one but are not fully sure how to use them. This is not unreasonable, as I...

Attachments

• Grinding Rest - Material List-03-23-2022.xlsx
    18.9 KB · Views: 16
@Smudgemo

Great work and thanks for sharing.
Those look like some fun projects, maybe for retirement when I can actually spend some time in the shop....

Brian

Those look like some fun projects, maybe for retirement when I can actually spend some time in the shop....
How far off is retirement brino ?

Nice looking projects Smudgemo ! :encourage:

Back