Has anyone ever heard of Langmuir

Shotgun

Registered
Registered
This popped up on an add, and I was intrigued. Anyone ever heard of this company? Any experience with this level of machine? What I would think would be a minimum viable setup looks to be around $5500. Would that get a workable system, or just a daydream that quickly becomes a nightmare?

Looks like a CNC router being sold as a "Mill". It doesn't look very rigid, certainly when compared to a professional machine. I guess, it might do an okay job on aluminum but on steel it would be limited to very limited depths of cut and It would be prone to chatter. Also, it's probably slow, some of those videos look speedup.

Similar to the average stuff.

There are some that have swappable heads, router or laser, 500 dollar range.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Remember that wood work is fast spinning router bits and fast feed rates mostly unsuitable for metal work.
I know someone who just found out what I am saying after he bought a cnc router intending to do aluminum work......

This popped up on an add, and I was intrigued. Anyone ever heard of this company? Any experience with this level of machine? What I would think would be a minimum viable setup looks to be around $5500. Would that get a workable system, or just a daydream that quickly becomes a nightmare?

When the Langmuir machine debuted it attracted a lot of attention from the PrintNC CNC router community because it was basically the same design with some design and material changes to the gantry. What really sets it apart from the PrintNC is the spindle; the standard spindle on a PrintNC is a 1.5 - 2hp unit that spins at 18,000 - 24,000 rpm. The Print NC will do aluminum and other non-ferrous metals just fine but steel is pushing the limits because the spindle speed is just to high.

The fact that the Langmuir spindle will run from claimed 0 - 8000 rpm changes the game for metal.

My MR-1 kit arrived in mid December and I am still trying to chase gremlins out. I have a conference call scheduled with Langmuir later this week to try to resolve an electronics issue -- support has been responsive thus far.

I highly encourage ordering the enclosure (which has flaws which will need to be fixed), which brings the base cost to around $7k (excluding vises, tooling, etc). I suspect after work holding, a selection of end mills, and mods I'm over $10k in. I'm happy to answer questions about the machine.

Looks like a CNC router being sold as a "Mill". It doesn't look very rigid, certainly when compared to a professional machine. I guess, it might do an okay job on aluminum but on steel it would be limited to very limited depths of cut and It would be prone to chatter. Also, it's probably slow, some of those videos look speedup.
The max cutting (and rapid) rate is 100ipm. Langmuir has mentioned in their forums that a 200ipm upgrade is coming but it doesn't seem like an official product announcement at this point. I think the ball screws would need to be replaced to support any higher speed as I think I can see them starting to whip at 100ipm.

Remember that wood work is fast spinning router bits and fast feed rates mostly unsuitable for metal work.
I know someone who just found out what I am saying after he bought a cnc router intending to do aluminum work......
The MR-1 is unsuitable for cutting wood. The max spindle speed is 8k rpm and they have warned against increasing the pulley ratio. The machine is intended to be run with flood coolant. The inside of my enclosure is already coated with sticky coolant residue. Wood dust would almost certainly adhere to every surface and plug up the coolant drains. I am considering trying UHMW as it makes large stringy chips.

well mine is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. should take some time to be functional with my work load

@deakin I have been away from this community for years but am planning to become active again. It would be good to see more discussion of the MR-1 here, in a vendor neutral context.

Have you looked at the discussion of MR-1 mods in the langmuir forums? I think casters / some provision for moving the machine is a must. If I had to do it again, I would modify the kit supplied drains.

Back