Has anyone tried the new Absolute DRO Scales?

I purchased the iGaging Absolute DRO's from Grizzly and just finished installing them on my Harbor Freight mini mill. They work very well with the included LCD displays and I like the way the displays can be ganged together and mounted easily to the machine.

I also just finished building Yuriy's Launchpad-based Android DRO controller (http://www.yuriystoys.com/2013/07/launchpad-dro-build-instructions.html). The build was very easy and the Bluetooth connection paired easily, but so far I am getting only random flashing numbers on my tablet display. I have been in touch with Yuriy (see link above) and am hoping the problem can be solved and is not a compatibility problem with the Absolute scales.

I don't have a Jet 16, but I can give you a general answer ...

First off, just measure or look up the specifications for the lengths of all your motions. Then order scales equal to or the next available size longer. The nominal scale size indicates its total travel. Extra scale length, to accommodate the width of the read head, is "built in." Of course, you'll need to plan for extra space/clearance on your tool for this.

The aluminum (iGaging) and hardened stainless steel (Absolute) scales can be shortened if you have to get longer ones than you need. A simple hacksaw will cut the aluminum scales. I've used a Dremel abrasive disk to cut the hardened stainless.

Back