Headstock and gear box oil changing

jareese

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
How in the heck do you guys drain the oil from your headstock’s without getting oil all over the stinkin place? Also, anyone have tips on getting oil INTO the gearbox faster than a 1/4” tube on a small funnel?

Pics for reference

Attachments

• IMG_2202.jpeg
    IMG_2202.jpeg
    142.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2203.jpeg
    IMG_2203.jpeg
    233.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2206.jpeg
    IMG_2206.jpeg
    245.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2204.jpeg
    IMG_2204.jpeg
    197.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2205.jpeg
    IMG_2205.jpeg
    160.1 KB · Views: 28
An extension pipe may be a little helpful for drainage

In a pinch, I have drilled undersized holes in oil bottle caps ( as well as gatorade bottles caps) and added tubing of various sizes , lengths , and types to fill everything from air compressors, to gearboxes , by inverting the vessel and giving a squeeze or three

Pipe nipple to extend past the gears, and a hand valve to make it easy going forward. Hang a bucket on the extension, open valve, enjoy.

I saw that- the gears have to come off, unfortunately

I saw that- the gears have to come off, unfortunately
BLAH......

Anyone ever put a new and larger drain hole somewhere more accessible? Same for Fill and drain on the gearbox. Just horrible placement.

"No user serviceable parts inside" Yankee running dog Imperialist

I'm not servicing parts. I'm drilling a hole and making a new drain.

For the headstock gear box, might you have room to thread in a compact street thread to barb 90 degree fitting (plug is surely NPT) and run a drain hose and a stopcock off of it? Depends on how much room you have. Otherwise, you'll have to remove the gears for access once a year.

Drilling a new plug location would be fine if you have eyes inside the box when you do it. Don't wind up in the goofs & blunders thread over it, though.

Would something like this work? I don’t know what threads you have in there, probably BSPT or BSPP, but Beswick has a variety of fittings that might fit behind the gears. NPT is close to BSPT, so for a low pressure application like this, you might get away with NPT instead of the correct thread form.

Back