Headstock and gear box oil changing

Would something like this work? I don’t know what threads you have in there, probably BSPT or BSPP, but Beswick has a variety of fittings that might fit behind the gears. NPT is close to BSPT, so for a low pressure application like this, you might get away with NPT instead of the correct thread form.

Be worth a look at least.

Be worth a look at least.
They also have a hollow screw style with a housing that has tube fitting threads on it, but that might be too tall.

Another option is to take the gearbox cover off and use an oil extractor pump to remove the oil. You probably want to take the cover off anyways to clean the sump of metal particles or other contaminates that settled out and don’t drain with the oil.

They also have a hollow screw style with a housing that has tube fitting threads on it, but that might be too tall.

Another option is to take the gearbox cover off and use an oil extractor pump to remove the oil. You probably want to take the cover off anyways to clean the sump of metal particles or other contaminates that settled out and don’t drain with the oil.
I was planning on that. I had to dig into my gearbox to loosen a sliding gear (C/D transmission) and there was quite a bit of small metal shavings and metal “dust” in there, assuming from the manufacturing process…

I added a quick-change system to my lathe to make this job easier. It replaces the drain plug with an elbow and pipe setup behind the change gears that goes to a ball valve and a flex hose out the back of the stand where a jug can be used to collect the used oil. Simple turn-the-valve and it's done kind of operation. Photo below (change gears removed for clarity), and more details are here.

51823231984_95793b3a7c_k.jpg

I was planning on that. I had to dig into my gearbox to loosen a sliding gear (C/D transmission) and there was quite a bit of small metal shavings and metal “dust” in there, assuming from the manufacturing process…
I still had some metal shavings in my 1236T at the second oil change, but it doesn’t have hardened gears, so don’t know yet if it’s normal to keep getting them or if that will stop at some point.

Back