Heat Treat Oven Element

An angle grinder would work but it would probably be better using a dremmel so that you have much more control. Be sure to wear a filter mask of some sort so you DO NOT breath in the dust.

An angle grinder would work but it would probably be better using a dremmel so that you have much more control. Be sure to wear a filter mask of some sort so you DO NOT breath in the dust.

A Dremel will give you more control only if you are unable to use an angle grinder correctly ;-)

A Dremel will give you more control only if you are unable to use an angle grinder correctly ;-)

Well i know how to correctly use an angle grinder but i would still use a Dremel for the better control aspet if i had the choice! I would equate using an angle grinder as using a sledge hammer to drive in a brad nail. Sure it would get the job done if you knew what your were doing but its not the best tool for the job!

I would equate using an angle grinder as using a sledge hammer to drive in a brad nail.

Then you shouldn't use an angle grinder, you know your limits.
To everyone else I would still firmly recommend it as in competent hands an angle grinder with a diamond disk gives very fine control of material removal in brick, ceramic and refractory ;-)

Then you shouldn't use an angle grinder, you know your limits.
To everyone else I would still firmly recommend it as in competent hands an angle grinder with a diamond disk gives very fine control of material removal in brick, ceramic and refractory ;-)

I guess this is one of those multiple ways to skin a cat deals! You have your way, I have mine and now the OP has more then 1 choice! And you are correct an angle grinder can have very fine removal control in certain situations however it Also forces you to take more material then needed in certain situations due to the diameter of the blade which is something that cant be controlled no matter how good someone thinks they are with that tool.

If I were successful in finding the break how would I then fix the ceramic plate? Would I use some sort of firebrick cement?

If I were successful in finding the break how would I then fix the ceramic plate? Would I use some sort of firebrick cement?
If I was doing this "repair" i would go directly to where that burn mark is and i would start shaving down the outter edge until you get to the element wire and you should be able to find the break. Then if possible and dependent on the working temps i would braze or high temp soldier that break closed or most likely add in a new "wire lead" to that spot or if thats not possible go back to removing more ceramic from around the element so you can make a mechanical connection from the downstream side of break to a new "lead." As for fixing the ceramic i don't know of a way that you could! I suppose if it is a critical factor that trying some fireplace hightemp mortar might help but I think it would not stick to the ceramic element. I would be sure to round out any cuts you made into the brick ig possible to reduce the chance of stress fracturing when brought up to temp. Now im NOT Guaranteeing This will work but considering it's broken already and if you have more time then money it's certainly worth a try.

Nope, it's crimp connections only for heater elements in furnaces! ;-)

Unlike others I'm not guessing :D

Lol dude it must be exhausting being as good as you think you are!
So your saying only a crimp connection works? I know for a fact that's not true but I COVERED that as an option under mechanical connection regardless! Because I stated a few diffent options does not mean i was guessing at anything. I dont know what type of wire that element is (NiCr, FeCrAl, Kanthal) nor do i know what operating temps it works at which are 2 important aspects for repair. Depending on the working temp silver solder would work up to its melting temp or brazing with Brass would also work if higher temps are needed. These were given as a possible option because they would require a minimum amount of ceramic material to be cut away while adding the least amount of material to the wire repair. I Also offered the mechanical connection as the last option because it calls for much more of the ceramic to be cut away in order to expose enough of the element to make a mechanical connection! Plus Old element wire can be very brittle so a crimp wont always work and even if you manage the connection the added crimp will change the resistance and possibly cause a hotspot which will fail in a sort period.
But you sir are Apparently a Know it all so by all means please go ahead and tell everyone how your way is the only correct way for doing everything!

Back