Heating the Shop in Vermont

End of the day temp and humidity in the shop after four hours...

8125f31df943c7ec3b85c9fbcdbf2473.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put together a smart thermostat control on my electric heaters in my shop to help with this problem. I am able to control the heat through my phone and to program it. Now, my shop is up to temp when I am there. It works great.

I recently split the two buildings onto their own thermostat. I keep one area warmer. Again, works great. I have a thread on garage journal explaining how I did it.

I put together a smart thermostat control on my electric heaters in my shop to help with this problem. I am able to control the heat through my phone and to program it. Now, my shop is up to temp when I am there. It works great.

I recently split the two buildings onto their own thermostat. I keep one area warmer. Again, works great. I have a thread on garage journal explaining how I did it.

Impressive setup. I’ll bet you like having that convenience.

My pellet stove igniter is defective so it’s gel start for now, and no intention to do a remote start. That would be cool though!

I’m not thrilled with its output- first pellet stove I’ve owned so I don’t know why I expected something like wood heat. It just doesn’t have the oomph you get out of a good wood fire. Maybe that is just the Vermonter in me talking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heater? I dont have one so i have to use my lathe when it is 25 out with my sleeves rolled up that gets cold quick! but the shop will have a heater :) must be really cold up there

Those of you up North can keep that cold and snow! It has been down below zero twice this week here in North Texas, and below freezing for a week. There is still 8” of snow on the ground. My shop was 28 inside when it was 5 outside. I finally fired the heater up yesterday and warmed it up to 50. The condensation was terrible as I expected it would be.

I have lived in my current house since 2012, the first 5 years in winter I used to walk into a 30F° cold shop and quickly heat it with whatever heater I had available, from Kerosene to radiant ,infrared, etc. all my tools were to cold to touch, my mill was making strange noise at the start up, I also had to deal with the moisture on cold surfaces.
5 years ago I bought a 220V electric garage heater and set the thermostat on it on low just enough to keep the temperature around 50F, 24/7. the difference in shop was huge.
It does cost to do do something like what I've done but the cost is not that high,~$30 a month extra but when I walk in my shop it is comfortable and I can start working right away, of course as soon as I walk in I increase the temp. but it is easier to go from 50F up 5 degrees than heating from30F. to 55F.

It is so nice to walk into a warm shop for us guys in the North during winter! I remember having to open the 16' slider door to get light in the shop to work because the fluorescent lights wouldn't kick on when it was below 20 F. I put in a 125,000 BTU overhead propane heater and leave the shop at 40 F. It'll heat up to 50 F in about 15 minutes.

Bruce

Bryan, just wondering if that is an inline fan in the welding exhaust ducts?
What diameter and how do you like it?

Bryan, just wondering if that is an inline fan in the welding exhaust ducts?
What diameter and how do you like it?
It is an inline fan. 6" diameter. I bought it on Amazon for about $30. It works OK, I think I will upgrade it to an 8" or 10" at some point to get more CFM. It works now by getting probably half the fumes out of the area when welding.

36% humidity in the shop? How sweet that would be. Everything is rusted here again.
I wanted to do a pellet or a coal stove but I've got no wall space to put one without some major re-arrangement.
I was thinking of trying a couple of terra cotta plant pot heaters just to keep the condensation at bay.

Meanwhile in EastTN: We've been lucky as all get out. Storm fronts keep splitting and going North or South of us.
It's colder in the shop than it is outside.
1613855151343.png

Back