Heavy Duty Knurling Tool

Doug Gray

H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
I have again had the great pleasure working with Quinn Dunki of Blondihacks. She has started a build series on my Heavy Duty Knurling Tool Kit.

Get your kit here

I haven't watched a video of hers in a while. Time to check (this) one out.

Watched that video this morning. Quinn makes great videos. Unfortunately I will have to wait until next Saturday to see the finished product.

Just looked at your site. Great looking product. Hopefully we will see Quinn make all of you products in the future.

Cutting oil is my blood.

I liked that Quinn Dunki video as well.
In the design of knurling tools, I take it that the "scissor" type can apply the deforming pressure to the work without shoving it with a big side load.
There was a incomplete "knurling tool" in the top tool drawer of the stand under the "pre-loved" SB-9 I bought. From its condition, I have no intention of using it, but I do want to get knurling achieved as a good skill to have.

I just saw that first video Doug! I didn't realize you'd improved your list of plans so much!

I have that exact "import" knurler that Quinn complains about and like it reasonably well, but love a good knurl too much to turn down a better tool! I might have to put this kit on my todo list after I finish my current list :)

So thanks to this thread (and a different project!) I opted to use my Aloris-style bump knurler today for the first time.

I'm appalled at how awful they are. I understand completely why everyone has problems with them, they are terrible. I've used a scissor style since I bought my first lathe, and never figured out why folks ever had trouble getting anything but great knurls!

From the looks of Doug's kit, it seems to fix the problems I have with my scissor knurler, at less money than I paid for mine.

That said: Once you can knurl easily, you'll knurl everything. They look fantastic, and are incredibly nice feeling.

I built Doug’s kit. It was easy, but not trivial, fun to build. In addition to the usual use of knurling, it’s a good trick to knurl a slightly too small shaft where you need a press fit, making it a bit bigger. This has saved some bacon a time or two.

Back