Heavy Duty Knurling Tool

I recently picked up a cut knurling tool at a Pawn broker for a steal.

Once you use a cut knurler you cannot go back to either the bump or scissors type.

You use it like a bump knurl tool but without the side pressure (as it is cutting not deforming)

I think the only disadvantage of a cut knurler is that it does not increase the diameter so it cannot be used to increase the diameter of undersized shafts as described above. But that could also be a positive depending on how you look at it.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

I've been looking at a scissor type knurling tool for a while now. Just haven't bit yet.

Well, this was the proper bait! Thought about building one from scratch, but time is always short (some of that is self induced! lol). Having a partial kit for the same cost as a chinese import knurling tool is a no-brainer! Hopefully my other knurling wheels can be adapted to this tool.

Can't wait to get the kit!

Thanks for your support, Dan. I'm sure you will enjoy the build.

Thanks for your support, Dan. I'm sure you enjoy the build.
It should be an easy one to put together!

Hopefully shipping won't to be too slow, crossing the border and all. I just looked, and you're nominally closer to me here in upper Michigan than I am to my sister just south of Detroit. I always think you Canadians are so far away, in reality you're pretty close geographically!

Something like 85% of Canadians live within 200 miles of the us border.

So, not having looked over the drawings, kit or anything else yet (Nothing in hand yet).

With the needed O1 steel for the parts, is what is shipped with the full kits hardened or annealed? I'm assuming annealed state?

Also, is what size dies come with the kit? I'll probably want some different patterns eventually...

Thanks!
Dan

Hi Dan

The o1 tool steel is supplied annealed.
The wheels are 3/4" OD
1/4" ID
and 3/8" wide.

Congratulations to Mr. David B.

David was kind enough to send some photos of Knurling Tool build. David decided to go with a "Cerakoted in Green" finish. I think this tool looks just awesome, I get a military feel... David's machining (and photography) skills are clearly top notch and he now has a tool he can be proud to point to and say "I made that"!

20221208_094623.jpg

20221208_094641.jpg

Well done Mr. B.

Congratulations to Mr. E.B of Arizona.

E.B was frustrated with his import knurling tool and after watching the Blondie Hacks video decided to have a go at the Heavy Duty Knurling Tool Kit.

E. B. considers himself a beginner and says he really enjoys Quinn's videos and watches each episode several time. E.B. has a PM-25 mill and a PM-1130V lathe in his garage shop. It certainly looks like he has put his equipment to good use.

E.B. says "with my very limited experience and skills, it was the smoothest machining project i've ever done".

E.B. mentions that he would like to see a larger diameter on the tension knob ...he has plans in the works to customize his knurler.

E.B says "it was a very good experience and I'm definitely going to order some of your clamps kits in the future".

Thanks for sharing your build experience and the photo E.B. It always puts a smile on my face when I here some has enjoyed their shop time while building one of my Kits.

Regards D.G.

16ded7d9d2.jpeg

Back