HEEEEELP

IMHO,
It sickens me how big business and lawyers have corrupted the very system that allowed them to get where they are.
Think of the inventors of old, average "Joes" who came up with an idea and/or product, patented it , and be protected.
Some would say it's the same today, but just reading this thread and looking at the references, I'd argue not. If it were so, how was it that an average American with little means in the way of money, information access (no internet), and education could file for a patent, get it, and either sell the rights or produce it themselves.
Looking at the price schedule, even as a Micro Entity, it looks to be in the tens of thousands of dollars by the time it's said and done. Everyone who posted here (except for a couple) with a patent filing had the same story..."It was done through my work".
I work with a guy who invented a product idea and prototyped it. It was a product associated with a work related process. He approached the company with the product and they approved it, filed the patent, and started producing it. What did he get for his time and effort ? His name listed on the patent and $1 for his trouble.
With big business and lawyers putting a choke hold on innovation in this country, no wonder it's going in the toilet !
Again, IMHO, a patent isn't worth the paper it's written on unless you have $Million Dollar$ deep pockets and a google of lawyers to back it up unless it's something that wouldn't be worth their time and money to steal from you.

IMHO,
It sickens me how big business and lawyers have corrupted the very system that allowed them to get where they are.
Think of the inventors of old, average "Joes" who came up with an idea and/or product, patented it , and be protected.
Some would say it's the same today, but just reading this thread and looking at the references, I'd argue not. If it were so, how was it that an average American with little means in the way of money, information access (no internet), and education could file for a patent, get it, and either sell the rights or produce it themselves.
Looking at the price schedule, even as a Micro Entity, it looks to be in the tens of thousands of dollars by the time it's said and done. Everyone who posted here (except for a couple) with a patent filing had the same story..."It was done through my work".
I work with a guy who invented a product idea and prototyped it. It was a product associated with a work related process. He approached the company with the product and they approved it, filed the patent, and started producing it. What did he get for his time and effort ? His name listed on the patent and $1 for his trouble.
With big business and lawyers putting a choke hold on innovation in this country, no wonder it's going in the toilet !
Again, IMHO, a patent isn't worth the paper it's written on unless you have $Million Dollar$ deep pockets and a google of lawyers to back it up unless it's something that wouldn't be worth their time and money to steal from you.

If your friend got a dollar he did pretty good. Back in the 60's I worked on a project and all I got was my name on the patent. I didn't do it all myself but I didn't get anything either.

I worked for a large oilfield service company that designed and at one time manufactured all our downhole and surface reading equipment. Most of the manufacturing is farmed out now. They patented virtually nothing but chose to keep our innovations and designs proprietary. Once a patent was applied for its common knowledge.

Interesting thread!

The part about the guy that invented intermittent wipers for cars.... is a good (albeit SAD) read...
Big corps are not the most honest folks.

IMO the way to make $$$ from a new idea... is to be the first one on the market, and make your $$$ quickly... that is, before someone else modifies it and puts it on the market.
They will, whether or not it is patented... and it will be YOUR responsibility to fund the litigation to stop them.
Better hope you are selling a ton of your new gadget.

What was that phrase we used to laugh at: "... first we kill off all the lawyers... " :rubbinghands:

This is a big part of what I do professionally; I have 20+ patents. So, I'll take a stab at this...
Fyi, you haven't disclosed anything relevant to patentability yet on this forum, so you are still safe! A provisional is exactly the right tool I you are looking to sell it, or want to check marketability first. You basically package up everything you can think of relevant to your invention (that you are prepared to have published) and send it to the patent office.. Along with the right paperwork. That sets your intellectual "stake in the sand" and starts a one year clock. At the end of the year you file the real thing (or don't). Everything in the real application MUST tie back to material in your provisional, FYI. Remember, the provisionsl material will be PUBLISHED by the USPTO after one year, just like everything else you send them.

Back