Hello From Ohio

homefactory

Registered
Registered
Hi, guys!

I am BRAND new to machining,however it is a life long ambition.

My goal is to make cool little puzzles and primarily gun work. I want to be able to turn barrel blanks, mill slides and eventually receivers.

My questions right now are about equipment.
Are combo lathe/mill any good?

What is the best lathe in they sub-$2000 range for gun work? Is there such a thing?

What is the best mill in the same range for the same purpose?

I am completely new so please excuse my ignorance.

*DISCLAIMER* I am well versed in the legalities of firearm manufacturing, so no worries about that.

I looked at craigslist near you and there are some lathes to choose from

This Monarch 10ee is there for a very low cost but needs some attention. Would be worth a look. Maybe not a lathe for a beginner but if you knew what it could be it would an outstanding project. And could be a lifetime tool for you.

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/tls/5697542890.html

Ah... she'd certainly under priced at least for the Minnesota market.
homefactory, as you are new to the "hobby" consider asking lots of questions here at HM.
Additionally, there might be a HM member willing to look at one with you. They might not be excited about looking at 1o. But, a couple you might get a volunteer.

Daryl
MN

Thanks for the reply's!!!

I have definitely considered buying used, but I am very worried that I couldn't fix any issues that would be there and would absolutely HAVE to find someone qualified to look at it with me

homefactory,

Welcome to the group.

Here's a couple links with some interesting reading:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/a-guide-for-selecting-the-right-lathe-for-beginners.25915/
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/how-to-select-a-milling-machine-a-guide.30066/

The more you know, the better off you'll be when looking at equipment.

-brino

Thanks!! I actually read thru these before I posted. Really great article for a noobee like myself. Based on this maybe I can give some more need info to help you guys help me.

I would like/need:

greater than 1" center bore
minimal swing(9-10" would be plenty I think)
20" center also probably more than enough
I would need a wide array of threading metric and standard.
longitudinal AND cross feed.
A DRO would be great but I guess not a "must"
quick change tool post

I have been lurking around and found some great looking machines from Jet,Bailegh,Grizzly and Bolton, problem is that all these machines have a list of mixed reviews.

I guess the question really is, can I get the options I want in a lathe/mill that WORKS for the price I'm looking for new? Am I going to have to buy used to get the quality needed in that price range?

Ow and just to throw this in, price is my only limit, these are going to be the foundation of my shop so they can have as much room as the need. The other tools can adjust for space

I would opt for a separate lathe and mill. Although not knocking the combo machines I think the spindles through hole would be the deal killer.
Welcome aboard!

Sent from somwhere in east Texas by Jake!

home factory, since you are new you might not have known you are living in an area of the USA with a significant amount of high quality used equipment within a trailer drive compared to most other places. That is why I posted the Craigslist ads. For the same reason you can search eBay with "Location" closest to see what might be just down the road.

I would avoid a combo machine mill/lathe due to quality. Take your time searching. You can get nice fully working machinery for your shop.

I like the idea of getting the two main machines as a foundation. I'd go with a Bridgeport style full sized machine for the mill for sure.

You can get plenty of lathes to fit the bill. I posted that Monarch 10ee I ran across because that is an eye popping price for that in most areas of the country, likely repair/refurb and be worth 6-10K. But you can easily get something fully functioning.

I like the idea of asking if there is a member here or two to help you search something out in person.

home factory, since you are new you might not have known you are living in an area of the USA with a significant amount of high quality used equipment within a trailer drive compared to most other places. That is why I posted the Craigslist ads. For the same reason you can search eBay with "Location" closest to see what might be just down the road.

I would avoid a combo machine mill/lathe due to quality. Take your time searching. You can get nice fully working machinery for your shop.

I like the idea of getting the two main machines as a foundation. I'd go with a Bridgeport style full sized machine for the mill for sure.

You can get plenty of lathes to fit the bill. I posted that Monarch 10ee I ran across because that is an eye popping price for that in most areas of the country, likely repair/refurb and be worth 6-10K. But you can easily get something fully functioning.

I like the idea of asking if there is a member here or two to help you search something out in person.

what kind of cost would be involved with repair/refurb? This worries me since I am most likely not knowledgeable enough to fix it myself.

Back