Hello From Ohio

I have a Warner Swasey like that and it is great. Not for you though. Won't do threading and if you have only one lathe you need that. Will do threading but only with a die setup, can't change gears for threading. Threading is a fun and important skill to have

Good example of why to take time and ask questions.

so a little reserch looks like the turret lathe is just a way to hold multiple tools and has a bit more automation, kinda like a manual CNC for improved time/repeat-ability.

This seems awesome, but im a newb

Yes turret is for multiple functions with repeatability. For hobby use not really needed. But cool nonetheless.

I think key thing is to be sure whatever it is get power cross feed and a threading gear box.

I have a Warner Swasey like that and it is great. Not for you though. Won't do threading and if you have only one lathe you need that. Will do threading but only with a die setup, can't change gears for threading. Threading is a fun and important skill to have

Good example of why to take time and ask questions.

DANG! I thought with all the feeds and speeds it would be able to thread, but yea no threading pretty much takes it out of the running. Awesome looking machine and looks like it was made just up the road in Cleveland

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMERICAN-PA...647957?hash=item3d213cf495:g:7B0AAOSwARZXmmQc

Here is a monster, wayyyy bigger than i need, but honestly what are the disadvantages to this? I have the room and the price is good

It has a threading gearbox, power cross slide and even a taper function. So large you could hold a smaller 3 jaw chuck in the 4 jaw

Check what it needs for power. Likely at least 220 3 phase but might need 440. Ask them what the power input is.

Check what parts availability is if it needs work.

https://hgrinc.com/productDetail/Machine-Tools/Used-Monarch-Lathe/03160170002/

this place has tons of mills and lathes for GREAT prices but they are untested, they do offer 30 day money back tho

See you are in a nice area of the country for used machinery. That Monarch for $1100 looks nice. Would be helpful to find someone close that can go with you to look at things. Guys at that machinery place might help you with honest impressions and options especially if you go in there wanting to buy a mill and lathe from them. Better to see them in use but there is the 30 day thing, ask about restocking fees.

Back