Help choose Ind 4-jaw chuck for 1440GT, please

oregontripper

Registered
Registered
D1-5 is a must. Would like to maintain 2" bore, besides PMs 8" is not available (and it's under 2").

Planned for rifle barrel and action work.
Things I wonder about.

Two piece jaws or solid?

Any reason to consider 10" over 8"?

Semi-steel?

Would go over $1000, or not! WTH, it's only money.

Store brand $400? Gator $600?

Bison $900? Not Chinese, a definite preference.

Seems to be all I can type above while actually viewing..

Like to say thanks in advance for any help.

10” D1-5 chucks are heavy!
If it were me, I’d go with the 8”
I’m sure someone will say the ten is better. I’m getting old
I have a 10” Bison that has the T slots. Single jaws
Very nice chuck

A few of us have gone with an 8" combination chuck (Bison) which is a bit quicker to get parts in/out and dial in. They are heavy (80lbs with back plate). Recent experiences by other with the Gator chucks have been disappointing in the fit/finish for the price, they are direct copies of the Bison but made in China. Helped another 1440GT owner setup his lathe and he was able to get a Bison 10" 4J with 2 piece jaws (eBay was 1/2 off, list wass 2K) and he was very happy with it. Weight is an issue, a direct mount D1-5 10" 4J are around 65 lbs. I like the Bison/TMX (2 separate companies in Poland, both make nice chucks), two piece jaws allow the use of soft jaws. This eBay listing may be worth looking at, it may be a Bison copy, but Rapidhold chucks when I checked were from Mainland China. Still looks well made , the chuck is semi-steel so limited to 1500 RPM Max. A 10" has a larger center hole, one reason a few people go with the larger chuck. Chuck prices have gone up quite a bit over the last year, also many chucks are outsourced to China mainland, and/or they have spin offs that are lower quality (Like PBA now sells Atlas chucks which is a low cost line).

Why are semi steel chucks limited to 1500 RPM?

Vibration, and disintegration?

Semi steel is basically cast iron, the centrifugal force exerts significant force and they can spin apart more easily then a forged steel. That being said, I wouldn't want to be spinning a 10" chuck above 1500 RPM. An 8" semi steel typically can be run to 2000 RPM, a forged steel to 2500 RPM. You pay a significant premium for forged steel and you need to factor in if you need the extra top end for a manual lathe. There are also significant other issues with the quality of the castings, and the balance of the chuck. On a lighter lathe they can produce some significant vibrations.
Bison 8" 4J in forged steel with 2 piece through hole 1.97" jaws 7-857-0835F
Bison 10" 4J in forged steel with 2 piece jaws through hole 2.55" 7-857-1035F

A couple of years ago one company was liquidation stock of their Bison 8" combination chucks, they were the forged steel version and they were like $650 a piece and they had 5 in stock. Once word got out they all sold in about a day. They list for 3X more. You can save some change and use a Gator back plate with these.
Bison 8" 4 Jaw Combination Semi Steel Manual Chuck Plain Back through hole is 2.17" 7-848-0800

That being said, I wouldn't want to be spinning a 10" chuck above 1500 RPM.
You should have seen me back up the first time I spun my 8" PB chuck at 1800 rpm! :oops:

Pretty impressive. Smooth too. I'm not sure I would have done that with a 10" though.

Thanks guys. Much appreciated!

That 8" Bison 7-857-0835F looks perfect... Like the rest of this affair, I'm in deep... LOL

Back