Help choose Ind 4-jaw chuck for 1440GT, please

Small tools and Ajax seem to have listings in a plain back and can set you up with a back plate, an extra 1" won't amount to much. QMT has a direct mount D1-5 that is very good and reasonable if it is in stock.

Small tools and Ajax seem to have listings in a plain back and can set you up with a back plate, an extra 1" won't amount to much. QMT has a direct mount D1-5 that is very good and reasonable if it is in stock.
See if this makes sense... A few points. The 8" QMT is not available. Even though it has a reduced bore, I would happily buy one for $400... Chuck depth is very much a concern for work I intend to do through the spindle. In fact it's important enough I almost went 1340GT. However, the 1440GT won out for other reasons.

Looking at that TMX plain back chuck, the four mounting holes are 10mm and spaced at 3.252", wheras (on a backplate), the six D1-5 3/4" studs are spaced at 4.125" with additional potential interference from the set screws. So, to me, it appears one would need an extra thick backplate to work, to overcome this...

I have searched for pictures that show an actual TMX or Bison 8" (ind 4-jaw, forged) with D1-5, however, the pictures located show a 3-stud D1-4 mount! Looking at the TMX diagram, there's additional material on the back of the 8" to allow for the D1-5 studs. Or so it seems to me. I will try to upload pics later.
Since overall chuck depth is a concern, seems like a 2-piece jaw would be my best option to allow for closest tool access on shortest stock? I could use a two-piece jaw with the top jaw removed? LOL

I'm royally glad I am not in a hurry.

If you want the shortest width, than you can buy back plate mount spiders or modify a back plate with opposing spider bolts. This is often done by gunsmiths. A back plate fits the specific chuck and is drilled for mounting the specific chuck. Pictures do not represent the actual products, so calling Ajax or SmallTools may be better if you have not already done so. I am not sure about using 2 piece jaws w/o the upper jaw, but one could use soft jaws and keep them short or make some.

I totally forgot about the Grizzly spider and been considering making one. It's in stock now, easy decision, one on the way, thanks!

I have had some interesting offers from retailers in general.

The pic below properly shows the back of the D1-5 TMX 8" with extra thickness I refer to. It's listed as 4.311" with "adapter". Edit, since it shows T-slots it may actually be a picture of the 10"! Sheesh.

Whereas the plain back refrenced above measures 2.85".

So D1-5 adds 1.46" to the depth. Not shocking or new stuff, just the specifics. Ive seen some plain back chucks with mounting holes that would fall outside of the D1-5 pattern and could simply (possibly) mount to a generic flat backplate. Such as this Japanese made unit.

Attachments

• 3-857P-TMX-pic1__02745.1601919138.jpg
    3-857P-TMX-pic1__02745.1601919138.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 57
  • s-l400(17).jpg
    s-l400(17).jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 63
If you buy the TMX this code will save you ten bucks TEN4ME

Back