Help identify Abrecht keyless chuck

For some reason , I never use a good expensive Albrecht chuck in a tailstock . Prefer a good Jacobs SBB chuck that I can wrench down with the key . Might just be an old tradition , cuz we're all getting older ! o_O :grin:

I only use an Albrecht in my tailstock because I'm lazy and hate using chuck keys. I've learned to only use drills up to about 1/2" in my chuck. Bigger than that, I go with MT drills. Bigger than MT drills, I bore it. So now I have this cherry Jacobs Super chuck sitting in my drawer, just looking pretty. :)

So now I have this cherry Jacobs Super chuck sitting in my drawer, just looking pretty. :)
Someone close to you may need/want it ! :laughing:

@mmcmdl I will be following your advise. Thanks for sharing :encourage:

This rebuild project all started when I left my drawbar wrench where it didn't belong and hit the power switch. The end of the drawbar broke off inside the arbor so decided to tear everything down for a thorough inspection. Hope never to make that mistake again!

@mikey What do these markings mean? How can I know if this is a genuine Jacobs arbor and not a Chinese knockoff?

Fao9HLxl.jpg

Those are tooling marks. Arbors are forged, then ground so those are not usage marks. Every Jacobs arbor I have has the Jacobs name stamped into the middle part of the arbor, between the ground surfaces. Jacobs arbors made in England will have a stamp somewhere saying so. You can contact the guy and ask him if the arbor says Jacobs somewhere on it.

If this is a genuine Jacobs arbor, this guy is selling it for about 20% of its retail value, which is what caught my eye.

Albrecht chuck is clean and reassembled. Thanks for the detailed instructions @mikey!

Only odd thing I noticed was when attaching the collar... it didn’t like to be fully seated against the body of the chuck. At full seat there felt some binding when I either tighten or loosen the chuck. I used a couple pieces of .003” feeler gauge to give it some clearance. Now it turns easy peasy. Not sure if that is normal or will effect accuracy but it already feels better than what it was before I started.

No word from eBay seller yet,,,

Last edited:
Albrecht chuck is clean and reassembled. Thanks for the detailed instructions @mikey!

Only odd thing I noticed was when attaching the collar... it didn’t like to be fully seated against the body of the chuck. At full seat there felt some binding when I either tighten or loosen the chuck. I used a couple pieces of .003” feeler gauge to give it some clearance. Now it turns easy peasy. Not sure if that is normal or will effect accuracy but it already feels better than what it was before I started.

No word from eBay seller yet,,,

The collar needs to be pulled away from the rear of the hood just enough so there is no contact and you're good to go. You did fine.

Back