Help identifying this grinder

RebelJD

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I recently acquired this vintage pedestal grinder/drill bit sharpener. I can't find any identifying information anywhere on the machine. I believe it is 3 phase but I haven't dug into it much yet. Does anyone know anything about this thing? Any help would be appreciated.
IMG_9040[1].JPG

I haven't a clue, but it looks like it was repainted at some point so you might find more info under the outer layer of paint.
Whatever brand int is, it looks like nice heavy duty grinder/drill sharpener.

Very stout grinder!

generally speaking, 3 phase motors will usually have a control contactor to operate the motor.
I don’t see space for a contactor, which leads me to the conclusion that you have a single phase grinder

Last edited:
You might search eBay for drill grinders or drill sharpening.

Its old, and well used. Looks like it may be a Century motor, no idea on the grinder make. Mike

great find @RebelJD

Take off the switch plate and see if it switches 1 wire or 3 wires. that is your easiest diagnostic about 1phase/3phase...

That looks like a great drill sharpener/grinder from the 30s or 40s. Once cleaned up and spinning, I'm sure you will fall in love with it!

by the size of the motor, i would guess between 1/2 and 3/4 Hp

I took the guards off and found the motor nameplate. It is a GE Motor. 3 phase, 220v, 1/4 HP. The switch on front is a 3 pole switch. No starter or contactor needed for such a small load. I worked for GE Industrial Systems for 38 years so I'll call some old colleagues with the model number and see if I can determine the age of the motor.

The motor spins freely. The grinding wheels that came off are Norton with 1-1/4" holes, probably expensive to replace. I do plan to restore it and probably put a VFD on the motor. I'd really like to find some sort of documentation on how to actually use the drill bit grinder. Ah the thrill of the hunt...........

It's an Oliver Drill Point Grinder. I used to have one many moons ago. Used it to sharpen big drill bit. I have looked in Vintage Machinery and am not having any luck .

I'm pretty sure it's a Oliver, but found this Sterling that looks like an Oliver.

Last edited:
Back