Help identifying Vices

Ben17484

Registered
Registered
I’ve picked up a couple of vices with machines over the last couple of years, and I don’t need them so I’m thinking of selling them.

This one has no markings:

4c469d20d866386d947998afb6e34b4c.jpg

72ba1891613e3a205a2f3e4068c907ae.jpg

It’s a solid, well made swivel vice and given that it was owned by a professional engineer prior to me, im guessing it was a good quality vice. Does anyone recognise it?

This one has a couple of markings:

12f81cb1bce60b3a9807ae33c136aad8.jpg

6f75301d702c85341fdc5b36fbbd806e.jpg

6cb2763a93bacc6c4f7d1763935391ef.jpg

Anyone have any details on this one?

I’m looking for equivalents so I can get an idea of price to advertise them for. The range of prices is so large due to quality of the item, im not sure where to price these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't help with your questions, but curious about this. Is there a UK/US spelling difference with vice and vise?
Is your vice collecting vises?
A vise is used to hold or clamp stuff, a vice is something which is considered not a virtue... Have a father in law originally from the UK, and I'm constantly amazed at the differences in the English language.

I highly doubt this is one of the examples of spelling differences between the countries. It’s more likely just my bad spelling!

I have no comment on the first vise, but the second looks like an X-Y vise.

I had one, and it had spectacularly bad backlash. At the moment it is being kept only as a possible source of material. I suppose one could use it on a drill press, if you had nothing better. That's what I did. Mine takes up a bit of room. It was one of my poorer purchases that I made. Hope yours is better than mine.

Don’t worry, neither of them are expensive sought after kit. The XY vise is a cheap import drill press vise. I found mine handy on my drill press but when my brother gave me an old Palmgren XY 8” rotary table I passed it on to a fellow H-M buddy for his many drill presses. He’s still using it last I heard. I feel like worth is relative and when I get something for nothing or thrown in on a deal and I can pay it forward when it’s not especially rare or sought after, I do. I think it’s why I get so much given to me or so cheap it might as well be free. I’ve given most of my surplus auto equipment to my neighbors son along with my old HD HF benchtop DP that I’d inherited from my dad when I upgraded my DP. He’s reciprocated several times along with other neighbors and friends.

Don’t worry, neither of them are expensive sought after kit. The XY vise is a cheap import drill press vise. I found mine handy on my drill press but when my brother gave me an old Palmgren XY 8” rotary table I passed it on to a fellow H-M buddy for his many drill presses. He’s still using it last I heard. I feel like worth is relative and when I get something for nothing or thrown in on a deal and I can pay it forward when it’s not especially rare or sought after, I do. I think it’s why I get so much given to me or so cheap it might as well be free. I’ve given most of my surplus auto equipment to my neighbors son along with my old HD HF benchtop DP that I’d inherited from my dad when I upgraded my DP. He’s reciprocated several times along with other neighbors and friends.

I think you’re probably correct about the value of the XY vise, but I do think the swivel vise is a good bit of kit. I’ve got cheap ‘import’ vises and am XY vise as well and the difference in quality between these vises and the import ones are night and day. These were owned by an old guy who had been an engineer his entire career and I don’t think he cheaped out. I also think these are probably British made (again, a hunch, but he said he’d owned this kit for many years and everything else he had he said was British made).

The cheap ‘import’ stuff I also have I wouldn’t even bother trying to sell as the quality is bad and I doubt anyone would bother trying to buy it second hand as it’s cheap enough brand new.

The reason for trying to sell off some of the better quality duplicate stuff I inherited with the machines is so I can put the money aside for a better mill, otherwise I may just pass them on to someone who needed them as well.

I found the first one.

Nice! Thanks. So that’s £170 new. That gives me an idea of how to price it to sell. I’ll probably clean it up before advertising it as well.

Most of our spelling differences stem from Noah Webster's dictionary, he removed the unnecessary letters from UK words, perhaps as a symbol of our independence from Britain.

Back