Help identifying Vices

Hey, I think "advertising" is the right way to spell it, but spell check wants that foolish "z" in there.

But "humour" is just too much. Spare a vowel.

On the other hand... you have different fingers.

What's wrong with vice verses vise when searching for a vise (vice) on Craigslist. I often found sellers using both spellings. Isn't one of our vices wanting multiple vises. C-Bag gifted me his el cheapo X-Y vise. It is on one of my drill presses and gets used all the time. Makes it easy to get the drill bit lined up on a center punch mark. Good enough for drill press work.

Isn't one of our vices wanting multiple vises.

I think it only becomes a problem when it's both anvils and vises...this was a fraction of what I managed to accumulate at one point a couple of years ago :eek:

Okay, in all fairness, at least 90% of the whole collection is now gone...it's how I paid for lathes, milling machines, half of my wife's new truck. :grin:

IMG_5079.jpgIMG_3897.JPGIMG_5695.JPGIMG_5134.JPG

..it's how I paid for lathes, milling machines, half of my wife's new truck. :grin:
that's not a problem, that's just shrewd dealing. Seems like you are in the right place or you'd not be able to make any $$ on them. Good job.

I think it only becomes a problem when it's both anvils and vises...this was a fraction of what I managed to accumulate at one point a couple of years ago :eek:

Okay, in all fairness, at least 90% of the whole collection is now gone...it's how I paid for lathes, milling machines, half of my wife's new truck. :grin:

View attachment 432878View attachment 432879View attachment 432880View attachment 432881
I want details on the shelving that supported that weight without a 6" sag in the middle! Either you just put them there, and they haven't had time, or something else is going on! I have two 4' tall shelving units that I welded up that will support medium-sized automobiles, but the commercial s*** ("stuff" - of course) that I've bought wouldn't support 40-50lbs for long without sagging.

GsT

I want details on the shelving that supported that weight without a 6" sag in the middle! Either you just put them there, and they haven't had time, or something else is going on! I have two 4' tall shelving units that I welded up that will support medium-sized automobiles, but the commercial s*** ("stuff" - of course) that I've bought wouldn't support 40-50lbs for long without sagging.

GsT
I have to admit, that shelf is a generic one that came from Sam's club. I added a 3/4" OSB sheet over the metal mesh and I think that's what made the difference...those vises were on there for a long time when I took that picture. I have a couple more of the same shelf in the basement holding a lot of my ammo and reloading components and they've been solid for years...very heavily loaded. They were pretty cheap a few years ago...wish I'd bought half a dozen more!

So... think you can shoehorn one of those anvils into a flat rate box? :grin:

If they come in pairs, do you think I could breed them as you have?

Dude, seriously, you have some fine examples there. I like the Ruckeisen/B-pattern/stepless flat tops, but the one in the far left on the third pic has me trying to hide the growing bulge in my pants. Or whatever the mental version of that response is.

If they come in pairs, do you think I could breed them as you have?

Dude, seriously, you have some fine examples there. I like the Ruckeisen/B-pattern/stepless flat tops, but the one in the far left on the third pic has me trying to hide the growing bulge in my pants. Or whatever the mental version of that response is.

LOL...yeah, that was a nice pile. I actually only have two left from that pic. The black anvil with the red paint on the face is my main user. It's a 330lb Refflinghaus No. 57. The other is the one on the far right which is a 200lb Fisher...like that one because it's so quiet.

The one on the far left is a 411lb French "rhino" or "French pig" made by Claudinon that I imported from Europe...pretty amazing piece really. I was really impressed with it, but couldn't pass up doubling my money on it. A guy came by to look at a different anvil I was selling and wouldn't leave without the Claudinon....it happens!

Back